Un-set strawberry jam

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

I made some strawberry jam last week and used a proven recipe, put lemon juice in, used half preserving sugar, half jam sugar (with pectin) and checked the boiling point with a jam thermometer. But the jam still hasn't set. The strawberries were very large and watery (due to the weather no doubt) and I suspect that could be the problem, because there seemed to be an awful lot of juice without adding any water at all. Could I tip it all back into the jam pot and boil it fast again, up to setting temperature?
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, you can Monika or you could use it as strawberry sauce for puddings.

Beryl.
retropants
KG Regular

Mine is the same, Monika. I am using it on toast and bread, but being careful, as it drips out of a sandwich!!! I am also using it in puddings as follows: Crumble merengue(sp?) into bowl. Add freshly picked soft fruit of your choice (I am using strabs, rasps and redcurrants) Then drizzle the runny jam over this.....yummy!
You could add cream too if you wish, but I am lactose intolerant, so I don't!!! :lol:
Emma.
Monika
KG Regular

Sounds good to me. We are having lots of family coming to visit on Monday, including five grandchildren, so I think we'll be able to get rid of quite a lot of "strawberry sauce"!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic