Smelly hands

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

romany123
KG Regular

When you been chopping, onions or garlic, damp your hands under the tap put some household salt on,rub in and wash off . Worked like magic, every time.

After eating garlicky dishes, chew some raw parsley. It gives you a nice fresh breath.
Regards
Dave
Chantal
KG Regular

I've always been told that washing your hands in cold water (with salt is better) if they smell of garlic etc.

I've eaten bunches of parsley and still had people reeling from the garlic :roll: My mother swears by it though.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Colin_M
KG Regular

I think there's something in the parsley cure, as my Dad (who thought nothing of including garlic mushrooms in a fried breakfast) did it and it worked for him.

Boring explanation: the treatment might need a little time to become effective. I believe at least some of the smell on "garlic breath" is due to the odourous chemicals from what we've eaten circulating in the blood and escaping via the lungs.

Thus parsley probably doesn't directly freshen the mouth, but helps us deal with it internally.

Pragmatic explanation: who cares if it works!

Colin

ps has anyone found the other problem with garlic: Once you start to enjoy cooking with it, you seem to need to increase the dose? I regularly put 4-5 cloves in a dish and can't say that it tastes strongly of garlic to me....... :oops:
Last edited by Colin_M on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chantal
KG Regular

Colin, I agree with the garlic thing and actually gave up eating it for a while as a result. However, the intake soon built up again, especially with roast garlic which I can eat by the bulb nevermind the clove. :shock:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Wellie
KG Regular

If you take the green shoot in the middle out (if there is one!) that reduces the power of the garlicky pores and breath. According to some chef that I can't remember the name of now.
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
romany123
KG Regular

Wellie wrote:If you take the green shoot in the middle out (if there is one!) that reduces the power of the garlicky pores and breath. According to some chef that I can't remember the name of now.

I am not sure about reducing the power of the garlic but I do know the green shoot in the middle can give the dish a bitter taste, and I always remove it.

Wonderful stuff garlic :-),

The old adage of " if you are going to eat garlic. Be sure to feed your friends with it Also" is very true
Regards
Dave
Alison
KG Regular

I was given a small slab of stainless steel, about the size of a soap bar, and you wash your hands with that rather than with soap and it removes the smell of onion. I then found you can actually rub your hands with anything that is stainless steel.
Why on earth does this work??? It really does, most effective.
Alison.
alan refail
KG Regular

I'm trying this tonight :!:

As for how it works, if you put stainless steel onion smell into Google, you'll get some helpful (:?:) results.

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Chris
KG Regular

Hi

Last year I discovered "examination gloves" which were being used at Wooten's Nursery in Suffolk for the potting on process. Thin close fitting vinyl with very good senstivity at around £4 per hundred. Great for onions and hand weeding. I'll maybe make another post to flag this up in case someone else doesn't know about them.
Chris
Franksmum
KG Regular

Yeah I bought a box of latex gloves and keep them in the kitchen - it looks a little dodgy but they are brill for chopping chillis. No more having to remember to take contact lenses out first!!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic