sprouting seeds

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Diane
KG Regular

I've just started to sprout seeds, in a glass sprouting jar on the kitchen windowsill. I've tried alfalfa, which was nice but bland. Does anyone have any favourites?
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Lyn
KG Regular

Hi Diane
Try fenugreek seeds - they are nice and spicy, and good for sprouting.
Lyn
Molly
KG Regular

Radish seeds are nice & spicy, but a little goes a long way as the flavour is quite strong. Having tried lots of different seeds for sprouting, I have to admit I keep going back to alfalfa. They sprout so evenly and quickly, and I love the metallic iron taste!
Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fence post
taralastair
KG Regular

mung beans and adzuki (can't remember spelling) are what I normally use. They are bigger sprouts so good for stir fries, caserole toppings etc. Nice and crunchy. I get them cheaply from a Chinese supermarket.

Good healthy food for very cheap.

Tara
Mr Potato Head

Hi,

If you're looking for inspiration, you can always buy the recent back issue of Kitchen Garden that has a feature on sprouting seeds!

http://www.classicissues.com/bidetailh. ... No=1000442

End of blatant plug! 8)
valmarg

I have 'sprouted' alfalfa for several years.

I have found in this year's seed catalogues, Moles Seeds give the widest range.

I thought I would go for a colourful mix, ie red cabbage and beetroot, together with alfalfa, and onion for taste.

The only problem is that, although they are very reasonably priced, the minimum quantities are of either 100g or 250g. I shall be able to sprout for England.

Has anyone any experience of these sprouts?

If anyone would like to try any of the above, I could send a sample.

valmarg
retropants

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, but have been growing veg for about 15 years!

A few years back, on a work trip to Holland, I was served sprouted spring onion seeds on top an open cheese salad sandwich and they were yummy! I have been meaning to try some here at home, but never get around to it! here's hoping 2006 provides the time and the motivation!
Carole B.
KG Regular

Try alfalfa sprouts on buttered wholemeal bread with poached eggs on top...a little salt and pepper....then break open the yolks so they run into the sprouts and bread....hang on I've just got to wipe the drool off the keyboard.....
mandylew
KG Regular

I'd love to try some seeds please, I have a three tier sprouter given some years ago in the back of a kitchen cupboard somewhere, must admit i did try some alfalfa in the distant past but it dried up, :oops: cant pm you though as you are a guest :?

mandy
valerie chambers
KG Regular

Sorry Mandylou, I've been making a bit of a mess of signing on. I think I've got the hang of it now, so you should be able to send me a PM.

valmarg
valerie m chambers
always_mowing
KG Regular

Hello Mandy,
I find it easy growing alfalfa sprouts in a jam jar and by rinsing them with water twice a day (and drain it through a muslin cloth after) helps keeping them nice and fresh until ready to be eaten.
seedling
KG Regular

I sprout radish seeds. they are hot and firey but very tasty.Good colour on the plate too.
Seedling
Colin_M
KG Regular

If you'd like to try something different, try sprouting Chick Peas.

You get something which is as soft as the cooked version and a lot less hassle!

Colin
mandylew
KG Regular

wow this thread has been 'revived' a year on! I am well into my sprouting now, got some quinoa on the go at the moment.

mandy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic