Jerusalem Artichokes

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

cevenol jardin
KG Regular

I dug up some artichokes this week and i am looking for some interesting recipes for them. Here the recipe for a soup i came up with which was pretty yummy.

This creamy winter warmer is an inspired combination of jerusalem artichokes and pumpkin jazzed up with some interesting herbs and spices; a little heat from black pepper, some deep spicy tones from summer savory and high aromatic notes of caraway and bay.

Serves 4 Prep 15min Cook 30-40min

1 tbsp olive oil
450g Jerusalem Artichokes, peeled and sliced
200g piece of orange flesh peeled pumpkin, sliced
1 litre water
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp verudette (preserved leek and celery bulliion)
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp dried summer savory, crumbled

Fry the onion in olive oil in a medium size soup pan until it starts to brown. Add the sliced artichokes and black pepper and fry gently until the artichokes soften. Add the pumpkin, water or stock and herbs. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Liquidise and serve.

Cook's Tip Summer Savory is an excellent herb to grow; it dries well and keeps its favour for a long time. It is a natural antidote to the antisocial side affects of Jerusalem Artichokes and goes well with beans and pulses for the same reason. It is one of the classic Herbs d' Provence mixture and is used in the flavouring of dried sausages and salamis.
Getting closer to the land www.masdudiable.com
Alison
KG Regular

Verudette? Do you make that yourself and freeze it, or do you buy it - if so, in cubes, tins or what? It sounds lovely! I was wondering if it was the sort of thing I should be looking out for when we get round to fixing up our French-shopping day in Calais!
Alison
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

Hi Alison
I don't think you would find it in the shops. I make it myself its a very old traditional thing you just grind up aromatic veg and salt it. The salt and lactic fermentation preserves and it keeps for a long time in jars. At least 3 years that i know of. Will look out my recipe & post it.
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

Alison are you the same Alison that wanted some Chard seeds if so just to let you know i posted them today.
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

Wellie
KG Regular

JA & Red Onion Saute

4 small red onions
7g butter
1 tblsp olive oil
piece fresh ginger, half size of thumb, peeled and finely chopped
2 teasps. fennel seeds
150g Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and sliced into 5mm rounds
3 or 4 tblsps veg stock
s & p

Peel the onions and cut them into quarters lengthwise, leaving enough of the base to keep them connected. In a wide shallow pan, melt the butter, along with the olive oil, over a medium heat and saute the onion quarters, ginger and fennel seeds. After about 7 mins, add the artichoke slices and continue cooking over a moderate to high heat for a few mins more until the veg are slightly browned.

At this point add 3-4 tblsps of veg stock and about half a teasp of salt, bring it up to the boil, put a lid on the pan and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook, shaking the pan occasionally for about 25 mins until the veg are tender but not disintegrating. Have a look occasionally to make sure all is well - you may need to add a little extra liquid to the pan if it seems in danger of drying out.

When the artichokes are tender, remove the lid and, if there is much cooking liquid left, turn up the heat for a min or two until it has more or less evaporated. Taste, and adjust the seasoning.

Serve as a side dish with quiche, frittata type nosh.

CJ, haven't tried this recipe yet (!) but looked it up as I have some ready to use, and didn't want to make 'yet another' soup with my seasonal produce !!!

I'll be making this over the weekend myself.
Hope you find it useful...
Kindest regards for 2007,
Wellie
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Wellie
KG Regular

Have just completed the above recipe for tonight's dinner, with chicken breast and home-grown Amsterdam Sweetheart finger carrots, which'll be followed by Chocolate Mousse with white Maltesers in. Mmmmm!

I've just tasted the Jerusalem Artichoke and Red Onion Saute, and WOW ! is THAT lovely....
Definitely one to try, I absolutely promise you.
It'll be a windy night at Holly Cottage tonight !!!
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Tigger
KG Regular

All you need is asafoetida! :D
Wellie
KG Regular

Hi Tigger !

I've got it, and it stinks, big time!
Completely 'Billy No Mates' in a Jar on its own....
Tigger
KG Regular

Yes - but the 'aroma' disappears once you cook it.

I assume you are using the white powder version?
Wellie
KG Regular

No, didn't even enter my head for this recipe. I always like to follow my 'gut instinct', and this recipe begged simplicity, and it paid off magnificently.
White is what we have, and I just made Trousers smell it (!) Having just picked him up off the floor, I'm going to blow him away with dinner now.
Thanks for the reminder !
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

Wellie
Will definately try your JA saute, did you cook them lightly as in still a bit crunchy?

and Tigger inspired idea to put in Devil's Dung - the savory did not really cut the mustard, it helped, but it was far from songbird singing in paradise after dinner - i think i'll add it to my soup recipe:oops: :lol:
Wellie
KG Regular

Oh, I apologise.... I thought Tigger was suggesting it for the saute! Must read the thread more carefully in future. BAD girl Wellie!
Cj - it was a nice mix of 'tender' and 'al dente' with reference to the JA's. Absolutely superb. I'm dead addicted now !
Tigger
KG Regular

I usually add a little asafoetida to anything with JAs in because it reduces the volvanic after effect to mere rumblings.

Even if they do stir things up a bit, they're a wonderful veg.
Wellie
KG Regular

I'll remember that Tigger....
I reckon that's why the fennel seeds are in this particular recipe, for the same reason !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic