Belated jam making

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Jenny Green
KG Regular

I've finally braved opening the door of our big freezer in the big shed at the end of our garden and have discovered a fair few pounds of soft fruit in there from.... wait for it..... summer 2005. Yes, I know :oops: :oops: :oops: but I've been VERY busy!
Anyway, it seems a shame to chuck it, but will it be worth making jam with it, or is it so old it will make the jam taste bad? Now I know no one else on this forum would be so slack as to leave their produce in the freezer for 18 months, but any considered opinions would be very gratefully received. :)
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
Alison
KG Regular

My freezer has plenty of sins and year-old fruit is the least of them!
I usually make my strawberry jam with frozen fruit in October, as I am too busy in the summer. In October there are lots of cooking apples so I make strawberry and apple jam with zest and juice of lemon - about a third of apple to two thirds of strawbs. Very delicious and you would never know the strawbs had been frozen. I wouldn't have thought that an extra year in the freezer would make much difference unless the packaging was so thin that the fruit was completely covered in ice, and even then I would try just making a couple of pounds to see.
Alison.
Granny
KG Regular

Dear Jenny, You're not alone, even if you only have me as a fellow slack freezer owner. I don't think jam from old frozen fruit tastes bad - I've used up lots of odd bits and pieces that way. I know that all frozen foods are supposed to lose nutrients etc when they are old but we don't really make jam for its nutritional value, do we? I'd give it a go.
Best wishes,
KG Regular

Many thanks both of you. I think I may well give it a try, and now I know what to do with those tiny apples I have that are starting to go wrinkly too! :D
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Jenny,
I usually make my jam with last years fruit. I use what I can during the winter in various ways and any surplus during the early summer is made into jam as the new fruit goes into the freezer. If there is not enough room for all the fruit then I will make some with fresh fruit. Although the strawberries are made into jam from fresh as they don't freeze well whole.
BTW frozen fruit will, if well wrapped ie 2-3 layers or a good box, keep for at least 2 years without any real loss of quality.
Regards Sally Wright
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Thanks Sally.
Unfortunately this fruit wasn't well wrapped and includes strawberries but I suppose I shall just have to take a chance as I can't bear the waste of throwing it all away.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic