Any other way for Green Toms?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

skip
KG Regular

Other than chutney? I did chutney last year & was great, but have a better crop this year, which have just got blight ... so think i may need to crop early. I'll do some chutney, but wondered if there was anything else ... do they taste awful?!
i loved the film 'fried green tomatoes', but they didn't inspire me to try them...
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

skip wrote:i loved the film 'fried green tomatoes', but they didn't inspire me to try them...

Yes, you ought to try them! Very good with some Gammon.
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
Deb P
KG Regular

Didn't they coat theirs in egg and breadcrumbs in that film? I haven't tried it, but it could be nice?
sprout
KG Regular

This appeared on another forum yesterday - I haven't tried it, but will certainly do!

PICKLED GREEN TOMATOES - German recipe

Too many pickle recipes read – and taste – as though they are the last desperate solution to the problem of gluts. Green tomatoes are the classic example. This German recipe calls for green tomatoes ‘small enough to eat whole’, which means growing them deliberately and picking the clusters of small fruit while they are still green, firm and fresh. One of the best varieties to grow is the cherry tomato called Gardener’s Delight. This has the great advantage that the skins of the fruit are unlikely to split.

This is an extraordinary pickle. Once you have tasted it you will never again forget that the tomato really is a fruit. It goes well with cheese, even better with pâtés and terrines.

Makes about 5lb (2.2kg)

5lb (2.25kg) green tomatoes, 1 inch (2.5cm) diameter maximum, stems removed
2 pints (1.2 litres) malt vinegar
6 cloves
1 x 1 inch (2.5cm) cinnamon stick
½ small nutmeg or 2 blades mace)
pinch salt
1 lb sugar
1 pint (600ml) white wine vinegar

Place the tomatoes in a large pan with the malt vinegar. Stir very gently and bring to the boil, then strain immediately. (The malt vinegar can be thrown away or saved for making chutney.) Tip the tomatoes very carefully into a bowl, taking care not to split the skins.

Boil the cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg or mace, salt and sugar with the wine vinegar in a separate pan, then pour hot over the tomatoes. Cover and leave for 24 hours.

On the third day, heat the tomatoes and the liquid together, but do not boil. Lift out the tomatoes with a slotted spoon and pack them carefully into warmed jars. Throw out any that have accidentally split their skins because they will ruin the effect of the pickle.

Reduce the liquid until it turns slightly syrupy, then strain off the spices and pour the cooling pickle over the tomatoes, making sure they are completely covered. Cover and store for 3 months before opening. Keeps well.
MrsL
KG Regular

I can recommend the pickled green tomatoes - I make 2 or 3 jars every year using a simliar but made up recipe.

For Fried Green Toamtoes, slice thickly, coat in beaten egg, then dip into polenta, shallow fry in hot oil - lovely!!
skip
KG Regular

Thanks for your replies, definately will try the fried green toms then ... there are planty to experiment with anyway!

Pickled toms sounds interesting too - I have a fair few sweet million, so they sound the right size.
Thanks again
sprout
KG Regular

Just remembered another recipe skip - complicated, but worth it if you have industrial quantities of green toms :shock: I'll be doing this one in October, my first year growing toms outdoors so plenty of surplus here too :lol:

From a very old recipe book that first got me interested in Indian food about 30 years ago!

Mrs Balbur Singh’s Mango Chutney (with Green Tomatoes)

1 lb (455g) green tomatoes
½ tsp ground cloves
4 bay leaves
2 oz (60g) dried dates
2 oz (60g) raisins
1 tsp red pepper (chilli powder)
1 oz (30g) shelled pistachio nuts
Just under ¼ pint vinegar (90-120ml)
1 tbs fresh lime juice
¼ tsp crushed peppercorns
5 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg or mace
2 oz (60g) toasted almonds
1 lb (455g) sugar
1 tsp black cumin seed (kala zeera)
1 tsp ground ginger
¼ teaspoonful crushed brown cardamom seed

Wash and grate the tomatoes, or pass the tomatoes through a food mill to extract the pulp without the seeds and skin. Put the pulp in a stainless steel pan; add the bay leaves and salt. Simmer slowly until soft, stirring now and then to prevent sticking*. While the tomato pulp is cooking, wipe the dry dates and simmer in 5 oz vinegar til soft. Remove the dates from the vinegar, cool and shred. Make syrup with sugar and the remaining vinegar; add cooked green tomatoes, shredded dried dates, red peper, black cumin seed, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom seed. Cook til it becomes a thick puree. Add the sliced, toasted almonds, raisings, pistachios, and lime juice. Simmer gently until thick. Remove from heat, cool, and pour into sterilised jars.

If you multiply the recipe by 8, yield is about 20lb ‘mango’ chutney.

*This year I'll roughly chop the toms (instead of grating) and put the pulp through the passata machine when it's cooked, then proceed with the recipe and see what happens!
skip
KG Regular

Cheers Sprout - looks really interesting, & I love indian food!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic