SPAGGETTI VEG

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

just been given this off a friend frome the plot,looks a bit like a long lime green pumkin,how do i cook the dam thing,anyone know?
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Chantal
KG Regular

I had some last year and I scored them round with a knife, wrapped them in kitchen roll and microwaved them for a few minutes until they were softish (not too mushy). I then scooped out the seeds, stirred up the flesh so that it went like spaghetti, added some salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese and grilled them.

Much the same treatment as I give large courgettes in fact.

Having said all that, I didn't much enjoy them and won't grow them again. :? :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

Thanks chantel,i was wrinkling my nose as i was reading what you said,dose the stuff look like spagetti
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
sprout
KG Regular

Hey grock, I cut mine in half lengthways, remove pips and bake face down in the oven (200C) for about an hour til you can feel they are soft with your finger. Then tease out the 'spag' strands from the middle outwards with a fork onto a plate in a mound and yes, it looks very like spaghetti - slightly translucent. Kids love it. IMO needs plenty of butter, black pepper, sauce and cheese!
skip
KG Regular

I was a bit disapointed with these, I've grown them for the first time & only eaten one ... have a bucket full waiting & 5 plants growing!

I cut a small one in half, scooped out the seedy bit & boiled them for a few mins, ate them out of the skins with butter - Not that exiting though. I think I'll try the cheesy idea tonight!
pillbug
KG Regular

No rush,they store forever!
peter
KG Regular

Try with an italianly pungent tomato/basil/onion/garlic/black-pepper/chilli-pepper sauce.

Besides, think of the low-carb approach. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
skip
KG Regular

True about the low carb approach! & it definately filled me up as we ate 1/2 a small one each before our dinner ... guess the rich tom sause would be healthier than loads of cheese & butter though!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic