Cutting Recipe down for one person

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

This is for a Cod one pot Stew.

The recipe is for 4 people and wonder how to cut this down for one person, some of it is obvious like leeks & cod 100g instead of 400g, lentil 50g,1 shallot small 1 tomato.

Wondering how to deal with the spices & stock should I use quantities suggest or cut divide by 4 as well.

2 Shallots
4 Garlick Cloves
3 Large Tomatoes
15g coriander
400g leeks
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp chilli powder
300ml veg stock
200g lentils
400g cod
1/2 tbsp chilli flakes
zest half lemon
Monika
KG Regular

Would 'a pinch' do for the spices?
Stephen
KG Regular

You will probably want adjust the seasoning after yhe first time anyway but my measuring spoons go to a ¼ tsp.

I would suggest adjusting the cooking time will be the most difficult judgement, it will probably not be as long as the recipe suggests but certainly won't be a quarter of the time.

I find it difficult to multiply upwards too, doubling is fairly simple but two don't eat as much each as a singleton does (I don't know why but it is the case), and going to six or seven people exagerates the issue.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Yes Monika pinch seem a good idea.

Regards adjustments Stephan I am always tweaking something as I reuse the recipe, as cooking for six/seven people I would end up nervous wreck.

Thank you both for your help,
Stravaig
KG Regular

We are a family/household of two, ie just my husband and myself. Even though I qualified as a chef a couple of decades ago, I find it a bit of a pain to cook for only two people. It's pretty much the same amount of time and effort as cooking for four, six, or even eight!

I deal with it by making more than we need and putting the excess in the freezer. If you don't have a suitable freezer or, if for your own reasons, you still just want to cook single portions I will try to help with advice as far as I'm able. :D

Off the top of my head, I'd cook the lentils and the leeks first. They'll happily wait for the cod but perhaps not vice versa. Definitely don't use the same amount of spices on a single portion as suggested for a meal for four. You'd end up with a meal of spice garnished with a bit of cod!

I don't suppose you live anywhere near Romford in Essex? I'd happily visit and make the meal for you and give you some cooking tips. :D
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thanks for the advice Stavaig I am the only one that likes spices and not in favour of left overs in freezer.

Did using a pinch but over did on veggie stock enjoyed every morsel though. Surprised that these spices could be used with fish, guess always ready to learn.

Thank you for your very kind offer Stravaig but not near Romford.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic