Okonomiyaki - easy Japanese meal

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stravaig
KG Regular

I regularly cook meals from quite a lot of different cuisines. Recently I discovered a wonderful and tasty Japanese "meal in minutes" - okonomiyaki! This has rapidly become a big favourite.

Yaki means "fried". Okonomi means "your choice". So you can make it how you like - I like to use prawns and squid, but you could make it veggie or any other way you choose.

Basically it's just a pancake with fillings and toppings, but wow it's tasty!

Here's an idea of how to make it:

Batter

100g SR flour
1 large free range egg
100ml water (or dashi)
other flavouring? (I add a bit of kimchi to give it a bit of a kick)

Bung the flour into a bowl, add the egg, and then water to make a batter in the usual way.

Fillings

about a quarter of a white cabbage, finely shredded
anything else you fancy, chopped squid or prawns, shredded chicken, veggies, etc

Stir the fillings into the batter mix (or add the batter mix to the chopped fillings) - it doesn't require precision but try not to make it too wet or too dry. A bit of common sense is all that's required.

Add a small amount of cooking oil to a frying pan and fry your pancake. It's easiest to make a few small ones. Large ones can be hard to flip. Pour or spoon your pankake mix into the pan and fry on one side then turn it over and cook on the other until cooked through and a bit crispy.

Toppings

Next you put sauces on it, eg mayo and okonomaki sauce. If you don't have the latter then just use what you do have and think will work with your pancake. You could also add spring onions, herbs, etc. Anything you like!

You can make it as sophisticated or simple as you want. The beauty of it is that it's delicious and very quick to do. Why not try it?

Hope you enjoy.
Stravaig
KG Regular

:P Gee. I'm so glad you enjoyed this.
Terryms
KG Regular

Thanks for the recipe! Feel like I need to try it soon :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic