A recomended toaster?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

BML
KG Regular

I have just read an article on toasters within which a recomendation of the George Forman toaster was made. The only problem was that when I looked there were about twenty of them so could anyone thin that list out please.
Stephen
KG Regular

When I moved in 2002, I bought a new toaster made by/badged asTefal. It is still going although I have had to repair it at least once. Obviously that model will no longer be made.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
retropants
KG Regular

I have a second hand dualit! It has lasted for years, the timer has gone but my local electronic repair shop can fix it when they reopen. I like that it is repairable.
Breq
KG Regular

I second the Dualit (the pricier range is much better made than their lesser range). It just keeps going. I got it after binning too many cheap ones. 20+ years and still going strong. I’ll never go back to cheap pop ups...
sally wright
KG Regular

When going to choose a toaster it is ESSENTIAL to do the following.

Get a piece of card and place upon it a slice of your usual loaf.
Draw round the slice and cut out the slice shape.
Take this template with you to the shop and test it in the toasters.
If the card "slice" doesn't fit don't buy the toaster.......

Regards Sally Wright
Stephen
KG Regular

Sally - absolutely right there. I did that.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

A friend of my wife did a lockdown Tesco order over Easter and ordered hot cross buns and they substituted, as they do. I didn't know chocolate chip hot cross buns existed but they do. Her husband likes his hot cross buns toasted. I think they've eventually managed to clean the toaster so don't need the replacement advice.
Westi
KG Regular

I did that Sally - well not a card but a hand size of the bread & it fitted just fine when I got the Bosch (on sale), then the bread shape changed about 6 months later making it taller so I forfeit the top rounded crust to fit it in but you have to keep an eye on it or it is charred that end!
Westi
Elahid
KG Regular

Our Dualit has never burned the house down. We’ve had it for ages (5+ years) with no problems.

It replaced a series of increasingly expensive pop-up toasters which would keep failing with depressing regularity and leave us having toastless breakfasts.

Pricey though.
Kayburton
KG Regular

We have been using the Tefal toaster for several years and so far there have been no reasons for complaints. The build quality is good and the toaster runs smoothly. Interestingly, we use the toaster every day, but it works. And a couple of years after it they bought a blender, they rarely used it, so it already broke. And the toaster is still alive and well :lol:
Stravaig
KG Regular

We bought a Dualit toaster more than 20 years ago thinking that paying extra for top quality would save us replacement costs in the longer term. (Also, it does look rather posh in the kitchen.) But the Dualit isn't so great, one slot only toasts one side instead of both sides. Perhaps we need to get it repaired?

On the other hand, we bought a bog-standard Russell Hobs toaster for our tenants (we rent out our UK home while we are abroad) and that makes great toast.

It seems that buying the "best" brand didn't work in our case - we just paid more for style over substance.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic