Changing from a gas hob to an induction one

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stephen
KG Regular

Very soon my new kitchen will be ready.
In planning it, I made a decision to go to an induction hob. It should be economical and, mostly, users like them, they are supposed to be fast (unlike the infra-red hobs which I find infuriatingly slow in comparison to gas)

Any hints on what I will find different and how to adapt.

Obviously I have sorted out suitable pans. Let's not go down that path (I have even learned about the chemical structure of different stainless steels and why some are magnetic and others not).
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I can't help at all Stephen :) but, i'm impressed that you have done your home work on the saucepans....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Went to induction hob 15 years ago and have not looked back.

They are clean controllable and very efficient.

Always had a gas cooker before which was a pain to clean when something boiled, over, unlike the induction hob which just takes a quick wipe over.
Muddyboot68
KG Regular

They are great. one warning if you boil milk don't put it on the highest setting, I have 9 settings and the highest setting I use is 7 for milk any higher and it will burn even if it is constantly stirred. It will take a little longer than expected
Stephen
KG Regular

Thanks. I know I will get used to it but was wondering, for example, how one might do a stir fry, where the pan (wok in thiscase) isn't always in full contact with the hob. Or, when I am making a roux sauce, I often have the pan at an angle rather than flat on the hob. With gas, this is fine and allows you to stir more easily.
Carolcarrot
KG Regular

I believe, it was a good decision! I do like my induction hob! It's really useful and fast, I can't name any of its disadvantages.
Stephen
KG Regular

There is a downside over gas, in my opinion.
When making a sauce or stir frying, I used to have the pan on an angle to use the wooden spoon or slice. This doesn't seem to work in the same way.

I also dislike the way it bleeps at me if the control panel gets damp and it closrs down if something boils over (ok, I should watch more carefully!)
Rajwinder
KG Regular

Induction cooktops are more reliable.Its easy to use and also very much easy to clean.It comes with different temperature setting,with it you can work faster.
Stravaig
KG Regular

I'm in my sixties and an old-fashioned girl - qualified chef (after I retired). I love gas. But more and more these days professional kitchens are using induction. I guess things change.

Induction is where it's going. Gas is history. I really love cooking with gas but suspect it won't be around much longer.
Primrose
KG Regular

I certainly think gas is the most easily controllable form of cooking but it,s a depreciating resource and I suspect Stravaig may be right about the longer term way cooking is going. Hope it doesn,t rung iut in my lifetime thigh. I like our comfortable gas hob !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic