Frugal grocery and cooking advice

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Zuthuchi
KG Regular

Come the weekend I am filled with optimism about the week ahead's cooking...

On Saturday we get all the food we think we need - but we always run out come Thursday.

My wife and I cook a large recipe from scratch that will be eaten at work (e.g. This week it was a beautiful chilli con carne, made into 6 portions).... then we have something for the rest of the week at night, often put in the slow cooker on Monday morning, ready for us coming home. e.g. a chicken casserole.

We intentionally cook lunches for 3 days for both of us, as thats enough in the week of eating the same thing, but as a result it usually ends up with me going to the shop on wednesday night / thursday night to top up the food shop to get us through to the weekend.

The slow cooker pot never seems to last beyond 3 nights max. Any ideas of meals we could make when we get closer to the weekend? One thing I noticed is we eat meat basically every lunch and dinner... maybe some meat free meals would be healthier, and cheaper?
retropants
KG Regular

Hello Zuthuchi, welcome to the forum!
this coconut (lentil) dahl is quite delicious, and very filling. It makes a large pot and only takes about 35-45 mins in total.

https://runningonrealfood.com/coconut-red-lentil-dahl/ (copy and paste link)

you can have it with rice or naan, whichever you prefer. I'll be making a vat of this tomorrow. I freeze portions so that we don't eat the same thing days in a row.

I also like to make spinach and ricotta canelloni with pancakes instead of pasta, apparently, this is called crespolini!
I can't find the recipe I normally use, but this is similar, you'll need to add 2 dsp of pesto and some grated nutmeg to the spinach mixture.

https://www.asdagoodliving.co.uk/food/r ... cannelloni

it makes 4 portions.

have fun, there's lots of ideas out there!
Westi
KG Regular

I keep a freezer itinerary & just pull out the fridge crisper drawer as well each week to check what nearing it's end to chuck into what I make make. I find at this time of year I make a lot of soups, but go for the thicker 'chowder' type ones with potatoes in them, which are a meal in themselves with the dash of cream. I pull the last bits off a chicken to throw into a Chorizo & Chicken stew & when there is no chicken left I bulk it out with Risoni pasta & make more stock with the bones.

Get what you need but always check what you have as well - even lettuce can be thrown in. BTW Welcome to the forum!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Something which might suit your style of cookery and the winter is a root vegetable ragout.
I forget where the recipe I have came from but combines, celeriac, carrots, swede, onion, garlic and florence fennel. In simple terms, sauted then finished in a tomato and vegetable stock sauce. Add oregano to your taste. Works well with rice but you might use other carbohydrates.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic