Roast pumpkin & winter squash seeds

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

This morning we experimented with roasting the seeds extracted from a small Crown Prince which I dried recently. Just roasted them with a little sprinkled salt for five minutes on a tray in a hot oven.
Didn't expect them to start popping like popcorn when they started to turn lightly toasted colour so that was a surprise!

Verdict : My OH found them too tough to be palatable but he is more dentally challenged than I am. . i found them rather a hard chew but they're probably valuable fibre and I'd certainly eat them if I was desperate for a snack. I'm wondering what their food value is ?

Anybody else tried roasting these? Did I do something wrong which might have made them a little more palatable? The seeds of Crown Prince are quite large. I wonder if seeds of smaller varieties might be less tough ?
Westi
KG Regular

I pretty much found the same thing when I tried roasting them. I read somewhere that the growers selling these roasted seeds used a particular variety, but haven't a clue which one. Saying this though one of the girls at work roasts Butternut seeds and they are much better, than my efforts, only trouble is she is a chilli freak & they are far too hot for me to indulge too much.
Westi
peter
KG Regular

That's the variety I initially tried, very thick seed case, very slim contents.
The next year I tried a seed producing (for human consumption) variety, still slim contents, just in a thin case. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

Some of the pumpkin seeds we buy commercially have a green coating. Does anybody know whixh variety they come from because all the seeds I've seen from varieties I've bought for consumption in the past have all had white seeds.
Westi
KG Regular

Great observation Primrose! Do they take them before ripe so seed case is not to hard maybe?
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic