Chinese boiled eggs

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

When you produce as many eggs as we do, it's good to diversify.
These are a popular snack in China and there are innumerable recipes online for them.
This is my own simplified and easy recipe. They are delicious if you like eggs and Chinese flavours.

Boil 6 small or medium eggs for 10 minutes, then plunge into cold water.
Peel the eggs.
In a pan which will just fit the eggs mix one cup of dark soy sauce, two cups of water, a teaspoon of sugar, two teaspoons of loose tea (or equivalent in teabags) and one whole star anise. Bring to the boil.
Place the peeled eggs in the pan with the mixture and simmer gently for twenty to twenty-five minutes, turning to make sure they are coloured evenly.
Can be eaten hot or kept in the fridge for a day or two to enjoy cold.

The picture is the ones we have just eaten for Sunday lunch.

IMG_1815.JPG
IMG_1815.JPG (1.78 MiB) Viewed 5974 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Primrose
KG Regular

That looks a fascinating recipe Alan. I,ve never heard of them treated in this way. i see you mention them being eaten as a snack but I suppose you could also eat them in a salad or with rice and vegetables.
centuryold
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:When you produce as many eggs as aol mail login we do, it's good to diversify.
These are a popular snack in China and there are innumerable recipes online for them.
This is my own simplified and easy recipe. They are delicious if you like eggs and Chinese flavours.

Boil 6 small or medium eggs for 10 minutes, then plunge into cold water.
Peel the eggs.
In a pan which will just fit the eggs mix one cup of dark soy sauce, two cups of water, a teaspoon of sugar, two teaspoons of loose tea (or equivalent in teabags) and one whole star anise. Bring to the boil.
Place the peeled eggs in the pan with the mixture and simmer gently for twenty to twenty-five minutes, turning to make sure they are coloured evenly.
Can be eaten hot or kept in the fridge for a day or two to enjoy cold.

The picture is the ones we have just eaten for Sunday lunch.

IMG_1815.JPG

Thanks for the recipe alan, I'm definitely cooking this dish on weekend. Will update you the results.:)
Last edited by centuryold on Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monika
KG Regular

That sounds tasty, Alan. will definitely try it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic