Hungry gap kale frittata

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivienz
KG Regular

I bought a bunch of hungry gap kale at the market last weekend, more out of curiosity than anything else, as I've never tried it before. Very nice it is, too. I had also bought a bag of lovely plump romano peppers, so sweated these off with a leek whilst giving the kale a quick soften up in a pan of boiling water. Popped the drained kale onto the peppers and leek, then poured over some beaten eggs, topped off with some feta cheese that's been lurking in the fridge for a while. Finished off in the oven for 20 minutes then served with some garlic bread. Yum, yum.

I find some kale varieties a bit tough, to be honest, but this was very nice - good enough to grow a bit for next winter once I'm up and running. I still think that black Tuscan kale is nicer, but this made a pleasant change.
Diane
KG Regular

Oooh....like the sound of that meal.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Primrose
KG Regular

That sounds delicious and I would have given it a try but the damned wood pigeons have descended on my plants despite the netting, over the past few days and pecked everything worth taking. I'm VERY cross. I still have some Cavalo Nero though and will try that.
Westi
KG Regular

I love frittata for using up the veg & stuff, a nice comfort winter meal that doesn't need stewing for hours! I grow Cavalo Nero & curly kale as both soften nicely as I agree some kale can be too tough. I like kale, potato & chorizo; definitely some Feta, peppers, kale; in fact kale pops into quite a few of these, but I have been known to throw in left over roast pumpkin with bacon lardons. And leftovers from the frittata make for a nice work lunch with a bit of salad too.
Westi
sandis
KG Regular

Delicious, healthy and easy recipe!
I don't know if my son is right. I wanna try free online bingo win real money no deposit. Only luck can help me, I guess. That place gives me what I need.
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum Sandis, please feel free to ask anything of these experienced people on here, mind I will pop up as well in responses. :) Soz!

Gardening is a strange thing, obviously it gives & takes at times, but I had a revelation this year - which I probably should post on another topic but hey it is kale here as well! Now my Cavalo Nero does well each year but this year from the stripped lower stem I got new growth, probably as they grew taller I was still picking the tops so didn't notice them. Anyway these new wee leaves on their own new wee branches are so tender I am throwing them in salads & even using them as a topping on soups. They don't need cooking in the soup or massaging in the salad dressing to soften it. (Also using the flowers that are trying to erupt as well)

The other guys probably know this, but this is the first year (in 14yrs) that I have got this 2nd growth of any note, also the first year I've managed to get them big enough not to bend to pick from the top. Never give up maybe is the message?
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic