Gluts and surpluses

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Just had the annual comment from my other half. "Oh No, not more bl**dy red-currants!" :lol:
I,ve just given two lots away and still have one bush to pick so any ideas for some easy recipes for desserts that can be used with things like cream or yoghurt please?

They have a rather sharp taste, even when ripe so the trouble is that a little usually goes a long way. (And embarrassingly I still have some from last year year still left in the freezer).

I was thinking that if this was still WW2 they would be boarded like gold dust for their vitamin C and I feel rather guilty for complaiming that I currently have rather too much of a good thing !
robo
KG Regular

Could you not make a cordial out of them
retropants
KG Regular

Red Currant jelly :)
Westi
KG Regular

My first year ever having some so still a novelty for me. I was thinking cordial if I have enough!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Made a gallon of wine with mine, and I've just been looking at a red currant jelly recipe for any extra ones.

I'm just trying to decide what to do with 14 lb cherries. I've given the neighbour a couple of pounds too. I'm not complaining though as it's a treat to get a good crop. The blackbirds are going mad for Amelanchier berries and the blue tits haven't made little peck marks in many of the cherries either for a change. It's an odd year too as the sparrows have ignored the peas which is very unusual.
Stephen
KG Regular

I freeze most of my redcurrants, they keep their form really well, which is an important consideration.
Generally I cook a sponge base and pile the currants on top, then reduce a few in a lightly sugared solution which I gel with agar (being veggie) and this holds the currants into place.
Or I put them on cereal.
They look so good on the plate that I would say you can not have too many.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
retropants
KG Regular

Our grapevine has given us tonnes of useable grapes this year, for the first time in 27 years! It always got very bad mildew in the past, despite my best efforts. We have neglected it for a few years, and this is our last year there. I suppose it is saying goodbye with a great gift! I do make wine, but I don't have the time any more, so my mother has bought a juicer, and the juice is bright pink, a bit tart, but lovely!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic