Perfect cake dough

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Karmina
KG Regular

I'm trying to prepare an orange cake for my little niece but I always have problem with the dough, it's too liquid, don't know why though I followed the recipe my sister gave me. She made cake like professionnal...

Do you have tips for perfect cake dough?
fab02
KG Regular

I am not a professional but I heard on tv cooking channel not long ago that it is better to push the texture in the spatula to have a firm mixture. You should try
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Some cake mixes can be like a batter to look at rather than a dough, I make a chocolate cake which is runny when you poor it into the tin but sets to a lovely moist cake. Trust your sisters recipe and carry on.
Karmina
KG Regular

Thanks fab, I'll follow your advice and see if it works.
Thanks as well Motherwoman. In fact, I had to trust on my sister's recipe , it's the only one I have. :(
fab02
KG Regular

You're welcome :wink:
This will help you I think
https://delicesandgourmandises.wordpres ... rmandises/
melving.crane
KG Regular

Karmina wrote:I'm trying to prepare an orange cake for my little niece but I always have problem with the dough, it's too liquid, don't know why though I followed the recipe my sister gave me. She made cake like professionnal...

There are plenty of available on the YouTube. I'm sure you'll find better ideas by watching a video tutorial. Best of luck.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

melving.crane wrote:
Karmina wrote:I'm trying to prepare an orange cake for my little niece but I always have problem with the dough, it's too liquid, don't know why though I followed the recipe my sister gave me. She made cake like professionnal...

There are plenty of available on the YouTube. I'm sure you'll find better ideas by watching a video tutorial. Best of luck.

Well that reply could be used for almost every question raised on here.

I'm sure that in the past there have been instances where many of us have thought "why on earth didn't you google that"

Doesn't quite fit in with the ethos of the forum though.

I'm sorry I cant assist with the original question as my dough making skills leave a lot to be desired

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Best way is to make it and see. Then you can adjust it to suit you the next time if it isn't quite right. Practice makes perfect.
Karmina
KG Regular

Thanks a lot melving.crane, I stumbled on a simple sponge cake recipe by BakelikeaPro on youtube, it seems easy though I haven't try it yet. Might give it a try one day... I found also Delices and Gourmandises chocolate cake recipe though it was in french, it looks simple and quick to make.

Of course, I should have googled it Pa snip but I thought it would be helpful for the others and there will be more than 3 or 4 replies from amateur cooks.

You're perfectly right Plumpudding "on my first trial, I got it failed but next time, I hope I will succeed with these nice recipes.
Gerry
KG Regular

Hi Karmina,

I'm sure that what Pa Snip was saying is that, if everyone googled their questions, we wouldn't have a forum.

Regards,
Gerry.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Gerry wrote:Hi Karmina,

I'm sure that what Pa Snip was saying is that, if everyone googled their questions, we wouldn't have a forum.

Regards,
Gerry.

Absolutely correct interpretation Gerry, thanks.

Do feel sometimes though that some basic questions could be easily answered by googling, but isn't it fun to see some of the answers :lol:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
sweet31
KG Regular

Hi Karmina,

There is no better solution to make a perfect cake dough than following the recipe to the letter. However, you need to make sure that you whisk together the flour, baking powder , adding alternatively to the mixture whatever you are using (sugar, buttermilk, salt…etc)
Mandy_will23
KG Regular

fab02 wrote:You're welcome :wink:
This will help you I think
https://delicesandgourmandises.wordpres ... rmandises/

Hi,

I was planning to make a chocolate cake for children snacking last week but I didn't find recipes that deals with cake dough. I stumbled on this topic earlier and tried Fab's recipe, it worked out perfectly. The directives were clear and it requires less than 30 minutes to make a wonderful cake dough. I'm sure there are more than 3 or 2 people who are still looking for this recipe so I'm going to share it with some of my colleagues. Thanks a lot!
PrincessCook099
KG Regular

I believe the reason why your dough is a little too liquid is due to the fact that it has a low fat content. You have to remember that doughs with higher fat content have a lesser water content, develop less gluten and are therefore generally less elastic.Temperature plays a huge role also Karmina. Temperatures that are either too hot or too cold will cause the yeast to not develop, and rising times that are either too short or too long will affect the final product...
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome Princess!

You sound a bit of an expert - please continue to contribute to our forum & share your knowledge! Growing lots of fruit & vegetables results in a glut from time to time & we are always open to ideas to prevent waste!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic