Preserves from frozen fruit

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

We've just finished making an inventory of our big freezer and are shocked at the amount of soft fruit in there. Some of it is two years old. We need to do something with it! Do you reckon it would convert to jam and be successful? Some of it is looking rather frosted and if it's not going to be successful, I don't want to waste the sugar and will just have to consign it to the compost heap.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Primrose,
make jam! You can taste it before you put it into jars and if the flavour seems a little flat just add 1/2 a lemons worth of juice.
Regards Sally Wright.
peter
KG Regular

1lb frozen soft fruit, 1lb sugar, 1 pint vodka.
Mix ingredients in suitably sized air tight sealahle container, leave in a dark place until all sugar has dissolved, agitate from time to time.

Strain through a seive, pressing wirh the back of a spoon or ladle, bottle and allow sediment to settle.

I use tupperware in the fridge on raspberries.

TOO nice. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Jam should be fine, add plenty of lemon juice as the pectin level will have dropped in the freezer. I save ice cream tubs for storing fruit in the freezer, seems to keep it in good nick. I was running out of room this year so cooked the gooseberries and then froze them, they're ready for whatever I decide to use them for.

MW
Primrose
KG Regular

Made some strawberry jam this afternoon from some rather frosted strawberries and added lots of extra lemon juice to counteract this but it's made a very runny set. I think we'll have to use it for adding to porridge without any further sugar. Can't think of any other use for it at the moment. Only another several hundred packets of stuff to use up. (At least that' s what it seems like! :lol: ). I think I am rather optimistic about the quantity of produce we can consume as a couple during the course of a year. One always thinks one will be able to make use of everything but in practical terms one's eating habits sometimes seem to take a different turn and stuff just accumulates. (It's rather like the Drinks Cabinet where many people I know bring duty free drinks home from their foreign holidays and end up with lots of bottles cluttering up the cupboard with only a couple of glasses taken from them in several years,).
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Strawberry can be a tricky setter at the best of times, if you have some redcurrants go half and half with the next batch plus lemon and a cooking apple. But a runny jam will be great in icecream, yogurts... and porridge!

I agree with the over-doing it on fruit, I'm in the process of starting a new fruit bed on the allotment and I'm cutting down on the number of bushes I grow. The currant (!) fruit bed is on a seperate half plot which I think will go in a year or two now my family still at home has shrunk.

MW
Beryl
KG Regular

I have no problem with jam from fruit in the freezer. In fact all of my jam is made with frozen fruit as I find it doesn't all ripen at the same time and I don't have the time in the summer anyway. Gooseberries are very high in pectin and very good with Strawberries. Cook them till soft first before adding the strawberries. Commercial pectin is good too. You could try re-boiling the jam but you will have less in quantity and it will be sweeter.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic