Broccoli

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PieGirl
KG Regular

I've read that broccoli is very healthy and a vegetable that you should definitely add to your diet. Thing is, I only know one way of cooking it and that's boiling it. Does anyone have any exciting broccoli recipes they want to share? Any different ways of cooking it? :) Thank you!
peter
KG Regular

I always steam it. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
alan refail
KG Regular

What do you mean by broccoli? Purple/white sprouting or calabrese?
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Beryl
KG Regular

Use the large heads mixed with cauliflower to make a different cauli cheese. Small Purple sprouting can be added to stir fries.
Both can be used in quiches. Spears can be used like asparagus dipped in butter or any sauce of your choice.

If boiling only use very little water and don't over cook.

Beryl.
Catherine
KG Regular

I make cauliflower and broccoli cheese, I add it lightly steamed to pasta with a creamy sauce, which we love. Add it to veggie curries, roast it for roast vegetable quiches, roast veggie pizzas. The list is endless.
Last edited by Catherine on Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glallotments
KG Regular

Anyone come across a club root resistant broccoli variety?
Catherine
KG Regular

We have club root on our plot and we have managed to grow fabulous broccoli by starting them in the PT and growing to a strong plant before planting out in a large hole filled with garden compost and a shake of lime. We have been growing them like this for three years and have had real success.
glallotments
KG Regular

Catherine wrote:We have club root on our plot and we have managed to grow fabulous broccoli by starting them in the PT and growing to a strong plant before planting out in a large hole filled with garden compost and a shake of lime. We have been growing them like this for three years and have had real success.

We grow ours to be plant sized too but they still succumb
Catherine
KG Regular

Do try the large hole method as it really does work for us and they were the size of shop bought ones only much tastier.
Chantal
KG Regular

I blanch broccoli in small florettes and then just before the rest of the meal is ready I stir fry it with garlic in very hot oil, adding a little Chinese rice wine (or very dry sherry). It's yummy, but not nearly so healthy as just steaming it :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
retropants
KG Regular

how about tempura? (deep fried in a light batter)
PieGirl
KG Regular

Thanks everyone. I love it stir fried. I also found a recipe for mashed cauliflower and used it instead of potato on a cottage pie and you could hardly tell the difference. It's just nice to have a change every so often.
Tigger
KG Regular

Makes a great soup, especially with cheese.
Elton
KG Regular

Broccoli is really very good for our health and fitness.
It has a number of benefits to improve our health and deal with the diseases.
It controls the cholesterol level, lowers the high blood pressure, burns the fat, reduces the unnecessary body weight and also controls the heart diseases.
Last edited by Elton on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Prowse Personal Trainer,
2/539 High Street Maitland,
New South Wales 2320, Australia
Westi
KG Regular

Oops Tigger! Elton says controls the cholesterol, don't think that means increase the challenge! :D :D

Welcome to the forum Elton - we are very friendly - post away anything that takes your fancy! You will be very surprised at the wealth of knowledge, patience & suggestions that will aid you be an even better gardener than you are probably already are!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic