Has anyone got a deep-filled pie maker?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stravaig
KG Regular

Has anyone got a deep-filled pie maker?

Postby Stravaig » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:44 pm

You know the type of thing - like a toastie-making or panini machine but it makes deep-filled little pies.

I fancy getting one but most models I've looked at have a number of very poor reviews. Sometimes people give poor reviews because the thing didn't work well for them. Perhaps they're not very good cooks. But it didn't fill me with confidence.

Another thing is that the two models I liked the look of most have since been discontinued (that kinda tells me something) or are otherwise unavailable.

I don't want to buy one and then be disappointed with it as it would be extremely difficult for me to return it.

Has anyone here ever used one and if so what did you think of it?

Thanks in advance.
0 x
Chantal
KG Regular

Re: Has anyone got a deep-filled pie maker?

Postby Chantal » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:46 am

Hi Stravaig, my mum bought one a few years ago. I will enquire for you.
1 x
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Monika
KG Regular

Postby Monika » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:59 am

Somehow, I can't really see the point of a machine like this. Unless you are making loads of pies and lots of the time, would it not be easier to do it by hand?
1 x
Chantal
KG Regular

Postby Chantal » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:50 pm

My mum has got back to me to say she "doesn't get on with it and hasn't used it in a long time". However, she knows someone who uses one a lot. Sorry, that's no help at all!

Personally, I agree with Monika.
0 x
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Stravaig
KG Regular

Postby Stravaig » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:54 pm

Thanks for your help.

I think the idea of it is to make things easier, especially to avoid "soggy bottom".

I'm quite happy to make my own pastry and usually do make pies by hand but I'm planning an event (socially distanced, of course) in April where I will be required to make a heck of a lot of pies and I was thinking that one of these machines might make my life easier. At this point I'm not feeling encouraged to buy one, though.
0 x
Primrose
KG Regular

Postby Primrose » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:39 pm

Don't, suppose yiu have a restaurant near yiu which is closed due to Covid who might be able to loan you one to experiment with?
0 x
Westi
KG Regular

Postby Westi » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:20 pm

I suspect they are one of those things that to get good results you have to invest in a decent one but the market seems pretty overloaded. How about prep & freeze in foil pie dishes (maybe pre-cook some) & then could heat or cook loads more in the oven with a bit of shelf rotation. Now if no room in your oven with other things some of those mini counter top ovens seem to get good reviews & would store away until your next little soiree! Who knows might become your regular go to with just the 2 of you if you get one with the hobs on top.
0 x
Westi

Return to “Cooking tips”