Harvesting Sugar Ann Peas.

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

MikA
KG Regular

I am very disappointed with these peas. The rare odd one we tried was pretty sweet and tender as expected but most when picked small had nothing and when older have gone stringy.
I presume I'm doing something wrong but I don't think I'll grow them again next year.
Geoff
KG Regular

I don't quite understand, are you talking about the peas? It is a mangetout sugar snap type.
MikA
KG Regular

Never grown mangetout / sugar snap before. We picked them with large thin pods and they were rubbish. When they had got a bit fatter with more flesh, some snapped ok and tasted good but others at apparently the same stage were just stringy and over chewy. When the peas developed there were very few inside and as a mangetout are not at all pleasant.

Obviously doing something wrong either in growing or picking.
darkbrowneggs
KG Regular

These are my favourite sugar snap. Once picked I hold the stalk end and snap it backwards then peel the "string" off if they are the fatter ones. Steam quite lightly or include in stir fry and they are lovely

I just wonder as it has been so dry have yours had enough water to allow them to grow quickly?

Oregon Sugar Pod are a nice one to grow if you like mange tout. But with either of these peas I would never "shell" them to eat the peas.

All the best
Sue
MikA
KG Regular

Thanks Sue,

There are a few pods left on the plants, so I shall try doing what you have said. The stir fry idea sounds good. There was certainly a long lack of water. we were using washing up water for most plants for a time.

MikA :D
MikA
KG Regular

:oops: this may all be a beginners mistake and this being the first year using the new small raised beds.

I planted Calibra Petit Pois peas in the corner of the bed and next to them 5 Sugar Ann in a pretty pattern to please the wife. I have just cleared the Calibras because not producing flowers anymore and found that one of them had grown straight through the Sugar Ann ones.

Maybe that is why we were getting so much variation. :roll:

Lesson learned hopefully for next year.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

If you are in a dry area, try an autumn planting under cloches to overwinter
they get off to an early start in spring before it gets too dry, douce de provence is one you can overwinter and there are other hardy peas. Rotate the area you plant, to avoid problems.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic