Rain spoiling the fruit

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

What a topsy turvy year, now the soft fruit is in full swing we have the heavy rain to spoil it. No point in picking wet fruit is will just go off.
Will have to be patient and hope it dries out soon.

Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Beryl, we have a lot of berries ready for picking here to, hopefully we can get it done tomorrow!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

In my house, blink and someone's eaten the soft fruit, its never around long enough to spoil.

However picking it in the rain... :(
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Agreed the wet weather arrived at the wrong time, but don't despair. Freeze the wet raspberries, take them out frozen and blitz with enough banana till it is icecream consistency, even my diabetic mum can enjoy that as icecream, delicious and fruity no fat or added sugar. Make a compote with it and it will keep, or rasberry sauce, or microwave jam, or blitz it with some yoghurt and enjoy a wet fruit smoothie. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks OH and NB, the fruit won't get wasted but it is a shame, Tayberries just went squishy in my hands today and now the cherries are splitting with the onslaught of so much rain.

Just another point, is anyone growing the new purple raspberry from Marshalls, Glencoe? This is my first year and the catalogue did say it was vigorous and boy next years canes must be all of 7/8ft already. But in the high winds and rain the long branches laden with fruit are now almost touching the ground. Not making picking very easy. Doesn't hold up so well as my Glen Ample.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic