Things ripening early

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

the custodian
KG Regular

thanks peter and nb mine look like small leeks now so i might havest a couple tomorrow and give them a try. will let you know the results
peter
KG Regular

Wasteful in my view, months of growing for them yet :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
the custodian
KG Regular

i will still have about 36 left peter so im sure a couple wont hurt as an expirement
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Mine were quite big too, so considering I could use the green stems as well as the bulb it's not quite so wasteful really, like Custodian, I had plenty.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
peter
KG Regular

First raspberries today, about.a dozen, large & very well flavoured. :D

Time to get the netting out. :(

First rather poor strawberries as well, late transplant to blame for the quality
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Custodian,
My understanding of Garlic in the green is the cloves that are generally the small ones not really good enough to grow as a crop and are grown like Scallions and used as Scallions and are in neat rows about 4" apart and almost touching down the row. I think it is really to make use of those too small for culinary purposes using up everything you manage to grow which is very good in practice but then what do you do.
I am growing some garlic from pips this year and although they are healthy they are not going to make anything of any size so I may just use them as Garlic in the green. I have never used Garlic like this and would appreciate advice on the cooking bit! I thought of something like a bacon and garlic flan with a nice cheese topping finished off under the grill. What do you think?
JB.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Your flan sounds nice Johnboy, other ways you could try, like spring onions, chopping the whole plant into salads, dressings, marinades, salsa, stir fries or stirring into mashed potato. You could make into potato and wet garlic cakes or soup, in scrambled eggs, or chop in a garlicky meat loaf, toss into fajitas, must be endless ways. I keep it in the fridge and use within a few days, it doesn't keep as long as the dried stuff.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
the custodian
KG Regular

hi jb i did pull up one of the larger ones today but it had no bulb so im going to cut it up nice and fine and mix into some butter then de stork some button mushrooms and fill the void will the garlic butter then im going to put two mushrooms together and join them using the garlic butter as a glue before i dip them in batter mix then fry them. maybe have a cheeky white wine too.

peter i think your right though i will follow your advice and leave them a while long.

i have to say this is a fantastic forum and im so glad i joined
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And we are all glad you joined to, Custodian. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Seconding OH's comment. :D
By Thomas Huxley
glallotments
KG Regular

We are picking our first blackcurrants and the redcurrants had to be netted as the blackbirds were already showing an interest. I'm a bit concerned that the gooseberries etc won't swell sufficiently due to lack of rain - our ground is bone dry.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

I know it is a national thing, but I can't get over the strawberries this year! I have been able to make about 3 lbs of jam already, and we have had plenty for eating and I really only have a few plants!
Kind regards,

Elle
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Sounds good Elle, home made strawberry jam, scones and cream?
By Thomas Huxley
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

It was toasted home made "French" bread this morning NB but I was thinking of Scones for next weekend. :D :D Must add clotted cream to the shopping list!
Kind regards,

Elle
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic