Leeks rule!

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marge
KG Regular

Considering I hated leeks as a child this is quite a statement - but leeks absolutely rule!

Not only have they proved easy to grow but despite thick snow and cold weather they are fine. I picked a leek yesterday and apart from a few floppy outer leaves it was it in perfect condition.
Reine de la cocina
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Marge that's what I love about leeks too, and home grown, they can sometimes make yer eyes water like onions do, Now I fancy using up my nice veggie stock with a delicious pot of leek and potato soup :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Monika
KG Regular

Wow, Marge, how did you get it out of the ground? Our soil is frozen solid several cm down and I think I would need a crowbar to get to the leeks. Besides that, they are still covered with thick snow!

Besides that, yes, I do agree leeks are one of the most useful vegetables. I make a lot of soups and most vegetable soups gain from having a bit of leek in them, it just gives them an extra dimension, I find.
alan refail
KG Regular

And very important to us here in Wales :wink:

Leeks were brought to Britain by the Romans over two thousand years ago and must have been grown by the Welsh ever since. Whether the invading Angles, Saxons, Vikings etc, etc grew them I know not. But they certainly continued in what became Wales and were considered as a particular symbol of Cymreictod - Welshness. Even in Shakespeare's time the leek worn on St David's Day was considered "an ancient tradition". The wearing of daffodils is less smelly but still has a connection with leeks - the Welsh for daffodils is Cennin Pedr - St Peter's Leeks.

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Wa ... heLeek.htm

Together with oats they were one of the reliable staples of Welsh peasant cooking. Unlike oats, which have largely disappeared, they still form the basis, in some quantity, for Cawl and Cawl cennin

Colin_M
KG Regular

Hey Monika, yes I'd agree with you.

On Saturday the temperatures in Bristol became positive, the frost disappeared and there was some sunshine so I went to dig a few leeks. Sadly no one had told the ground about the change and it took some levering to get my leeks out!

A few attempts to get some compost out of bags stored outside also revealed a solid lump. Definitely a message that we shouldn't stop hibernating yet :(
Monika
KG Regular

We got two leeks out of the ground today, Colin! There was just a thin crust of frost on the top of the ground. And the soup was lovely!
Bren
KG Regular

We popped down to the allotment yesterday just to check if everything was OK after the snow and ice, made no attempt to dig out leeks as we were in our best Sunday clothes having been out to lunch ( sons birthday) but we did cut 2 sticks/stems of sprouts in case I don't get down again before Christmas.

Bren
Beryl
KG Regular

Given a few swimming lessons I think mine could get home from the lottie all on their own. Yes, we are flooded again but it doesn't seem to bother them. They are still just as crisp and tasty.

Beryl.
Edible
KG Regular

leek and potato soup has to be a favourite, leeks are just so versatile, they can be rustic or be made into a nice gratin for more posh ocassions. love them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic