Getting root veg "sweet"

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin_M
KG Regular

People are often advised to leave things like parsnips in the ground until they've been frosted, to improve the flavour.

I have some Mangel Wurzels that I'm making wine from. I picked the first ones a few weeks ago after some initial frosts, used one and left the other in a shed. I still have two more in the ground that by now have had several more days of frost (and now snow!).

:?: Can anyone advise if the sugar levels in root veg are more likely to rise if left in the ground, or if picked & stored?
The Mouse
KG Regular

Hi Colin,

I don't pretend to be able to give you any sound scientifically-based advice, but rather what I have found by trial and, quite literally, error:

I should also point out that, with the exception of parsnips, I don't leave my root vegetables in the ground because of slugs and other pests/diseases.

However:
Carrots: I store them in a shed which gets below freezing-point (the compost around them was slightly frozen when I brought some in today), and these carrots taste sweeter as winter goes on.

Potatoes: When stored in that same shed, they too go sweet if subjected to those same below-zero temperatures - well, I did say my experience was based on trial and error!

Beetroot: Last December I found some on my plot that I had forgotten about. I brought them home in a carrier bag, put them outside the back door and "forgot" about them. I think it was in early March that I finally looked at them again, expecting them to have rotted away after sitting in rain, under snow etc. As they still looked sound, I cooked them - they were the nicest, sweetest beetroot I have ever eaten!

My conclusion is that it lifting the veg makes no difference - provided that they are still subjected to the cold ,they will still get sweeter!

Regards,
Mouse
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Beryl
KG Regular

I'm rather inclinded to agree with The Mouse.
I would only lift sufficient winter veg. in batches for convenience. Its no fun trying to get roots out of frozen ground or having to trudge to the lottie in a howling gale. I leave mine in a bucket in the greenhouse they keep perfectly for several weeks.
Beryl.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Thanks Mouse, yes this is what I was on about.

I will make the next batch of Mangel wine with one "beet" that's been stored and one from the allotment.

I will also dig the remaining one and store it till the New Year to see what difference that makes. Sadly, none of this will be ready in time for this year's KG party :(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic