Parsnips - lift or leave

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elle's Garden
KG Regular

I have a great row of parsnips in my raised bed of which I am really proud. But I am a little concerned, I have pulled about half a dozen or so now and I am finding brown grooves/runs down the outside. It looks as though something has munched its way down the outside and then it has gone a bit brown around that. It peels straight off with the peeler and fortunately the parsnips are large enough that it is not a nuisance - but should I lift them now to prevent further damage? I really want to keep some for Christmas if nothing else because that was my aim this year - to grow Christmas Dinner!

Appreciate your thoughts,
Elle
Kind regards,

Elle
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Elle

In my experience that problem will only get worse. But, it is possible to lift now then blanch and freeze them down in bags for roasting etc.

I cut into lengths and blanched for 5 minutes or so a whole pile of them early this year and have just roasted off the last of them. I couldn't tell that they weren't fresh picked. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Beryl
KG Regular

I would go one step further than Chantel and par-roast them before freezing. If you boil in chunks firt, then drop them in a pan of hot oil until just going a pale golden, lift and drain on kitchen paper. Open freeze on a tray then -pack in a poly bag. To use put in hot oven thawed or frozen till crisp. I still have some from last winter and they are perfectly alright. I do this with celeriac and potatoes. They can all go on the same tray and saves a whole lot of bother.

Beryl.
Monika
KG Regular

What a good idea, Beryl! I shall do that with our pasrnips, not least because I am desperate to dig over the ground they are in at the moment (I know, not very good planning, that). It will also mean I don't have to don wellies, walk right down the other end of the village and across a field in order to get one parsnip when I want it! And they will probably also be in a better condition than much later - see Elle's Garden's original question.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Thanks for the ideas ladies. I will just make some space in the freezer and then get going! Ironically I picked one today for some parsnip mash and it was perfect. :D
Kind regards,

Elle
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic