green tomatoes

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

iknownothing
KG Regular

I have grown gardners delight tomatoes outdoors in my small veg patch (have decided to dig up some garden for next year definately need more space!!!) any way to my surprise i seem to have quite a lot of tomatoes which we have been enjoying for a while now however there are still plenty of green toms left on the plants - how long is it safe to leave toms on plants outside? spot is quite sheltered but wondered if they'll reach a point when it will be too cold outside for them to get any riper but don't want to pick them too early if they'll still ripen ! thanks
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Where are you ikn ? Keep an eye on the forcast for low night temperatures
if it looks like a frost pull the whole plant and bring into a light frost proof place
they will continue to ripen and take moisture from the vine. or if you don't have space for that place fruits in a large bowl with a banana and cover with a cloth which should help them ripen. Failing that there is always green tomato chutney to make. :) I am keeping my fingers croissed for our outdoor grapes, ripening but not quite there, but we have already had masses of lovely grapes from the vine I trained into the greenhouse.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic