Marks on Sungold tomatoes

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I've grown a few Sungold tomatoes for 3 years now and have noticed that on many of the skins as they ripen, little black lines seem to appear on some of the skins. It looks just as if somebody has been drawing very fine black pencil lines on them.

Is this a characteristic of this variety or if not, can anybody suggest what's causing them? It hasn't happened on any of my other varieties.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Primrose

Don't like to see you without a reply. All I can say is that I have grown Sungold every year since they were first introduced and I have never seen anything like this - skins always totally unmarked in fact. None of the tomato problem/disorders websites I have looked at have anything as you describe.
Are they just lines or is the skin indented?

(unhelpful) Alan
Primrose
KG Regular

No, Alan, there's no indentation, just very fine black lines which seem to become more noticeable as the fruits become more ripe. It's not happening on all of the fruit which is even more of a mystery. But I've currently got a bowl of yellow tomatoes in the kitchen and because of this it's quite easy to differentiate between the SunGold and the Yellow tumbling varieties, which have immaculate skins. Bit of a mystery really. I did notice this happening last year and then forgot about it until it started happening again this summer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic