Figs

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

For the first year I have a fantastic crop of figs. Far too many to eat fresh. So far I have had to give them away which is Okay but I would like some ideas as how to preserve them. Do they freeze successfully?
I'm not into drying but jam or chutney perhaps. Cooked dishes to freeze?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
Beryl.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

here is a link to a fig preserve recipe

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... rves-15606

My fig is not doing so well, its in a large tub, maybe I should have put it in a smaller one. Do you feed yours? Any tips for getting mine to fruit more?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Beryl
KG Regular

Many thanks for the receipe.

I have 2 figs one on the allotment which to be honest I never thought would survive, particularly after last winter. I have given it some protection with a wind-break and thats all. Its about 4 years old and I have had a few fruits previous yesrs but this year is fantistic.

The other one is in a large pot at home and probably like yours not doing very much. Hasn't grown to more than about 3 ft. and with only 3 figs on it this year.
I've offered it to another plotholder and he is in the process of preparing a large hole for it. Mayve it will do better planted out.

The one on the lottie I did dig a hole about 4 x 4 ft and 2 ft deep. lined it with rubble, added some good rotted compost before planting.

They were both freebies from the newspaper I think so I really can't complain.
Maybe someone else can help with keeping them in a pot successfully.
Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Beryl.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Thanks Beryl, I think they do better when roots are restricted so maybe i should have crammed it in a smaller pot, like you, only a few fruits on mine in a pot.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi NB and Beryl,
It is very interesting to learn that Figs seem to do better planted direct into the soil even though the growing is restricted.
There is a Fig growing locally that has 'done a Beryl' and is absolutely laden this year. It always has a good crop but this year is exceptional.
This bush is very old grows up the side of a house and is facing due south and catches every bit of sunshine going. Although planted in the soil it's planting hole is lined with slate. I do not think that the plant has any particular treatment during the seasons. Why?
JB.
Angi
KG Regular

According to my freezer book, figs freeze perfectly. Wrap each one well and bag up. When needed defrost at room temp and they're as good as fresh. I have frozen some of mine this year but have yet to defrost one to confirm this information. Hope this helps!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Angi,
Very nice to see a posting from you after such a long time. Please give my regards to Mo next time you see her.
JB.
Angi
KG Regular

Hello Johnboy! Yes, I've been so busy, last year with my wedding, which seemed to completely take over my life, and this year I've had a poorly but recovering husband and so much allotment produce to deal with. I'm just starting to see some calm water ahead and hope to get back into the forum. I've missed you all!
Beryl
KG Regular

Hi Angi,
Many thanks for your advice on freezing. I will definitely now put some in the freezer.
Sorry to hear your OH has been poorly and I do wish him well and a full recovery.

Thanks again
Beryl.
Angi
KG Regular

Hi Beryl. He's almost better. I think he's enjoyed being looked after, and of course he's been able to sit and watch me work on the allotment!!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Angi,
You married a very wise man! :wink: I also wish him well.
JB,
Angi
KG Regular

He would be delighted to know he's considered wise!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic