When to harvest shallots?

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Piglet6
KG Regular

They have 'flattened out' but the leaves are still pretty green in colour. I'm worried that this wet weather might cause them to rot. When is best to harvest them please?
John
KG Regular

Hello P6
My shallots are at the same stage as yours. I don't think that there is anything to be gained with shallots by treating them like onions ie forking under them to break the roots and them leaving for a week or so before lifting. I'm going to lift mine as soon as I can get round to it and put them up on some wire mesh off the ground to dry.

John

PS Had a good crop this year
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Colin_M
KG Regular

Yes, my Longor were good this year too.

Since they'd started yellowing and flopping over, I harvested them last Sunday. They've since caught quite a bit of rain whilst they were supposed to be drying :(
dazarooney
KG Regular

John wrote:Hello P6
My shallots are at the same stage as yours. I don't think that there is anything to be gained with shallots by treating them like onions ie forking under them to break the roots and them leaving for a week or so before lifting. I'm going to lift mine as soon as I can get round to it and put them up on some wire mesh off the ground to dry.

John

PS Had a good crop this year

Thanks for the advice :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic