What is the best Strawberry for freezing?

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'm trying to find some information about the best varieties of strawberry for freezing. Honeoye seems to be mentioned most often.

I did grow a variety about 20 years ago which was very dark red and firm and that didn't go mushy when frozen, but I can't remember what it was called. I think it began with a Z.

Have any of you any experience of good firm strawberry varieties that are still pleasant to eat after having been frozen?
Beryl
KG Regular

Hard one this Plumpudding. With such a high water content to my knowledge most strawberries will go mushy if you want to eat them as you would fresh. I think they are best used in deserts or jam but if anyone does know of one that stays firm I would be pleased to hear to.
My favourite berry is 'Marshmello'.

Beryl.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Plumpudding,
I do not think that there really exists a strawberry that freezes that successfully.
I gave up years ago and put my surplus through the blender and freeze in suitable sizes to suit several occasions. with this I make Strawberry Crush by mixing caster sugar and double cream and serving very cold which is truly delicious. The crush can also be added to Yogurt.
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks for your replies. Marshmello is my favourite too Beryl. I also grow Ciflorette which is earlier.

Your strawberry crush sounds lovely Johnboy. I did make quite a few tubs of strawberry icecream last year, which was delicious, so I'll probably do the same this year along with a few jars of jam.

I just wish I could remember or find the name of that strawberry. It was a late variety and very firm so it didn't collapse into a watery mess when you thawed it out.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Or freeze strawberries whole, process some still frozen with a chopped unfrozen banana to sweeten, it will become icecream texture, if you get proportions right ! Makes a delicious sugar and fat free healthy icecream !

Another way to preserve them is in a rumtoph, layered with other summer fruits, in alcohol and sugar to taste. Lovely at christmas.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
glallotments
KG Regular

We add some sugar to chopped strawberries and freeze that - it's good for making your own fruit yoghurt or having on porridge.

We also make a drink by adding this mixture to fizzy water.
John
KG Regular

Hello PP
As others have said I don't think that there are any strawberry varieties that are suitable for home freezing. Any frozen whole fruits that you see in the supermarkets will have been processed and very rapidly frozen.

This doesn't quite answer your problem but have you thought of turning your surplus strawberries into a preserve as this will keep the fruits whole. I do this most years if we have enough fruit and the resulting preserve is truly superb. I follow Delia's recipe almost to the letter except that I use ordinary granulated instead of the preserving sugar that she recommends.

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/ ... serve.html

For best results use small to medium fruits that are not over ripe or damaged. You will finish up with whole fruits in a wonderful thick strawberry syrup. Also use jars with lids (I use small preserving jars) because if you use cellophane tops the preserve slowly dries out on keeping. Don't boil for too long as then the preserve will lose its attractive red colour and become brown - don't bother too much about cooking to a setting point as this is a preserve not a jam.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
amo
KG Regular

did someone already tried to dry them.

Dried fruits are expensive in shops then making our own would make sense.

I did tomatoes last year and they come out allright, still ok in their olive oil

Do I do the same thing for strawberries? but how do I keep them after?

And I do recommend the preserve, I just done my first lot this week and 1 jar is already gone!

amo
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks everyone for your recipes and suggestions. Delia's strawberry preserve sounds excellent.

I also like the idea of drying them.

I think someone mentioned buying a dehydrator last year. Are they worth the money and do they get good results? I've tried drying things in the oven but it takes so long it doesn't seem worth it.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Plumpudding, you can preserve them in alcohol and sugar in a rumtoph pot, and any other surplus summer fruit you may have, should be ready to sample by christmas!
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic