would you eat them?

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Meow
KG Regular

hello,
my allotment is sited on a river flood plane next to a sewerage works, over the winter it all flooded. fortunately the damage was minimal and we didnt have much in just a few leeks, they look ok and the allotment notice board says it's safe to eat produce as any nasties are supposed to be killed by sun light but we're not sure if we fancy them now. would you eat them?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A warm welcome to the forum Meow, yes i would eat them without a second thought. But how safe they really are i could not say.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
John P
KG Regular

Yes meow,I would think I would probably eat them,though this is strictly my opinion.Eventhough I grow most of the produce we eat through the year,(I am not skilled enough or have the time to have all year round crops) we still have to buy veg and fruit which is commercially grown and by all accounts this is sprayed with chemicals more then once throughout its growing season ,rendering it more harmful then the minor contaminaton you suffered,again this is only my opinion. Not sure about the sun light.
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Meow

Yes, I would eat them, just given them a good wash.

Around here our sewage works used to be famous for the tomato plants that grew there. The workers said they just sprang up from undigested tomato seeds and the crops were wonderful and all eaten. :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Elaine
KG Regular

Tomato and pepper seeds are amazing! I learned the hard way, not to put these into my compost bins. I remember trying to work out how these tomato and pepper seedlings had got onto my plot until the penny dropped! :roll: :oops: I now put those particular bits into the councils' little re-cycling caddy instead!
I have heard about sewage waste tomato plants before. Amazing.
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic