Help with Butternut Squash please.

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

heyjude
KG Regular

Thanks for suggestions. The other thing I tried was wrapping them in foil and leaving them overnight in the aga. They were cooked to softness and the skin was easier to pierce.

I'm glad they improve with time - we've got forty something to get through and it could take some time!

The other one we tried this year was an acorn squash and we've picked about a dozen from two plants but haven't cooked one yet. And a couple of turk's turbans that had 3 or 4 on each plant.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Westi wrote:After you have got inside if you microwave the slices for a few
minutes the skin is easier to peel off. Really works.

Now that you mention microwaves, Westi, I remember now that Gem squash microwave brilliantly. Prick the whole fruit all over with a fork, and give it a few minutes at full power in the microwave. They come out piping hot and delicious: chop the top off like you would a boiled egg, take out the seeds and pop in a knob of butter for a real treat. You can do this with most small squashes, not just Gems: Delikata, Sweet Dumpling and their like.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Gerry
KG Regular

When I started this thread I was very disapointed with the first butternut squash harvested and promised to update if I got anything approaching reasonable.
I left the remainder on the plants untill the plants started to die back and then harvested and stored them.
These proved to be excellent and I still have six left.
Regards and a happy new year to all.
Gerry.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Thanks for the update Gerry, I may give a plant some space in the spring if I can find it :lol:
Happy New Year to you too :)
Kind regards,

Elle
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic