scabby potatoes and drying onions

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mrsbirdland
KG Regular

A couple of questions I hope someone might help with.

I grew potatoes (Maris Piper and International Kidney) in two large old rubbish bins this year. Just checked to find they are all covered in scab. There's quite a lot, and I'm guessing they won't store well as they are. Anyone ever tried chopping up potatoes and freezing them? Or know of a cooked form in which they would freeze well?

The other thing is my onions. It's so damp here that the tunnel is very humid and the greenhouse full, so I've brought them into the house to dry. My dining room is currently decorated with about 250 onions hanging on various structures. They aren't getting much sun. Will they dry okay like this? The whole house reeks, even with the door shut (husband not in the least bit thrilled) so I'm hoping this is worth doing.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hello Mrsbirdland

I wouldn't worry about scabby potatoes, just keep them in a dry, cool and dark place. Some varieties are prone to scab such as desiree, you can line the bottom of the furrows with grass clippings to help prevent it.

As for your onions, I suggest that you move them outside a let them dry in the wind and hopefully ripen in the sun.

I have lifted mine recently due to them being smothered with weeds and have them outside drying for a couple of weeks.

All the best

Barney
mrsbirdland
KG Regular

thanks Barney, I'll store the potatoes as is then, and try the grass clippings next time. Couldn't face too many frozen boxes of potato soup anyway.

As for the onions - hah - that's Somerset talking to Scotland! No sun up here to dry them out - lots of wind, but also constant showers, and the forecast is for rain, rain, rain. (thinking I should be moving down south).

glennis
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Scab on potatoes can look bad, but it's actually not much of a big deal. Supermarkets get uppity about their appearance for fear that it will repel customers, but we need not be fussy. it just peels off and the flesh underneath is fine. it doesn't make a difference to how well they store. In an acid soil it is less of a problem, hence the recommendation for grass clippings placed in the row, which raises the acidity locally.

Onions can sometimes take an age to dry off, but I wouldn't worry about hurrying them on just yet. The best thing is to let the air around them. Keep them off the ground if possible, on a grating held up with bricks is ideal — chicken wire, for instance. They will get there, but it can be an endurance.
Allotment, but little achieved.
mrsbirdland
KG Regular

Felix - they are finally starting to dry out, even in the dining room. I took some of my slatted staging to put in there and found that very effective for hanging the onions on, with leaves down. Seems to be working, and keeps them off the floor. thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic