Pumpkin query

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

This year I am growing New England Pumpkins from Kings. Unfortunately I have lost the seed packet and I dont know when they are ready to be picked. I have only ever grown the really big ones to use in October. Are they supposed to be yellow when picked as I have picked one today and it was green mottled, but it was huge, well it weighed 4 1/2 lbs or 2kg. Have I made a mistake in picking this too soon ? Have I wasted it. Will I be able to use it or is that it compost heap. (on the underneath there was a small patch of yellow. I still have several more to pick so I will have learned the hard way if it is picked too soon and will try and be more patient for the rest. That's supposing that they dont all rot off with all the rain we are having. :roll:
peter
KG Regular

Place it somewhere dry in sunshine and it may ripen up by itself.

As a rule Pumpkins and Winter Squash are best harvested just after the first frost of autumn has killed the leaves of the plant. (The leaves almost dissolve on the touch of frost) To fully ripen the fruits sever them from the vine by cutting the stalk, leaving a stub on the fruit, and again place somewhere dry, frostfree and sunny to cure.

The curing process is not essential, but it does seem to ripen off the fruits and set the skin nice and hard.

Oh and yes you don't pick them when they are green, imagine them as a tomato and you'll get the idea. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
John
KG Regular

Hello Catherine
I agree with Peter. Another clue as to what's happening is to look at the stalk that attaches the fruit to the vine-like stem. This will change from green to yellow then to a light brown colour and take on a woody like appearance as the fruit becomes fully ripe. It is very important to leave this old stalk on the fruit when you do finally harvest - fruits without a dried stalk never seem to last very long.

John

PS Don't carry the pumpkin by its stem as this is likely to break off.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Catherine
KG Regular

Thank you Peter and John for your advice. I will try and get this to ripen in the sunshine. :shock: when we have some. I will also leave all the others on the plant to ripen, and try and be patient as well. How often should I be feeding the plants and with what? \i have been feeding with tomato food is this sufficient?
Geoff
KG Regular

peter
KG Regular

I don't feed mine, but the ground they go in gets:
rough dug over the autumn.
rotovated in late spring.
liberally manured then rotovated in May.
sprinkled with Growmore.
covered by a carpet "mulch".

Then I plant through holes in the carpet. :D

End result fertile moisture retaining soil with no competeing weeds. :D

Another tip is to take a 2L lemonade bottle, discard the cap, cut off the curved base and plant to half its depth, cap end down, next to each plant, finishing off with a six foot cane pushed through the bottle.
Easily located private watering stations that direct the water down to where it is needed and you could include tomato food if you wished. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic