Florence Fennel Bulbs

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

WestHamRon
KG Regular

This year I've managed to grow some, but don't know what to do with
them.
I've found that the other parts of the plant don't keep their flavour when cooked.
Can the bulbs be frozen or stored in another way ?
Beryl
KG Regular

Not sure what you mean about the other parts of the plant but the bulbs can be frozen. I cut them in chunks and boil till just tender.
They can be used from frozen reheated in a little butter or added to any dish.
Delicious raw sliced finely in salads and good with orange segments or tinned mandarins.

The fern can be laid on top of fish when baking in the oven. or in foil parcels. use it on the BBQ to.

The combinations are endless I am sure others will have lots of ideas.

Beryl.
Colin_M
KG Regular

I'd echo Beryls suggestions. In addition, you could try:

Coleslaw made using Fennel as an addition or substitue for white cabbage - much more fun. Or a combination of Red Cabbage, Fennel and Red Onion, finely sliced as a variation on traditional coleslaw.

Taking this a little further, you could spice it up with some grated Kohl Rabi (white or purple, depends on what colour scheme you're after :) ) and maybe even with some grated raw beetroot, finished off with a squeeze of lime juice . This last combination will probably turn everything pink.....

Braised Fennel I'm sure boiling works, but fennel goes so well when cooked with other veg.
We did a Moroccan Tagine the other night with Carrots, Onions, Fennel, Garlic, Courgettes, tin of tomatoes & assorted spices.

However the simplest is several shards of fennel (cut down to around 3" long by 1" wide) alongside some diced onion, garlic and carrots. If you're veggie, just fry gently for 10 mins then add enough stock to cover and braise in the oven for an hour or so till tender. This dish also works really well with some bacon or gammon added at the end of the frying stage.

The finished result would probably go well with some boiled new potatoes. Right now some of you may well have nearly all the above ingredients ready to harvest!

Enjoy :)
John
KG Regular

Hello WHR
I always freeze a few fennel bulbs - just put them in the freezer. They are ideal for use in the winter when they can be popped into stews, pot roasts, pies and so on for extra flavour.
I think that they're a very much overlooked vegetable. If you search around you'll find that there many ways of cooking with them.

John
Last edited by John on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Thank you all for your replies. I wasn't sure if they retained flavour after freezing. It appears they do ! :D
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The bulbs also keep well in the fridge wrapped in clingfilm.

As well as the other lovely recipes I like them just sliced up in a salad.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic