"Stiff" jam

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elaine
KG Regular

Hi everyone. I over boiled a batch of my blackcurrant jam by not checking the setting point soon enough, resulting in a jam which is very "stiff". It tastes delicious, has no sugar crystals and would be perfect if you could get it out of the jar without bending the spoon! :roll: I know nothing can be done to remedy this now but has anyone any suggestions for use, other than flypapers? :lol: Cheers!
Happy with my lot
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Elaine,
remove the jam from the jar and add 2-3 tablespoons of hot water (from a boiled kettle) to it. Stir until a suitable consistency is reached. Return to a slightly larger jar and keep in the fridge until wanted. Do not keep watered down jam for more than about a month. Extra stiff jam is BTW very good for making jam tarts as it is less likely to boil over.
Regards Sally Wright.
pongeroon
KG Regular

My stepmother gave some marmalade years ago, which she had left cooking, and gone off and forgotten. When she came back, it was dark and very very sticky. She put it in jars, and it was incredibly difficult to get out, but it was worth the struggle;

POW! Marmalade With Attitude!! Essence of gummy oranginess, yum.

I've tried to make some like it, but never suceeded yet.

So I expect your stiff jam will be delicious too, Elaine.
Elaine
KG Regular

Hi Sally. Thankyou for the advice, I will certainly try it. I should think one jar at a time as it's needed ? I had wondered about doing something like that but being a fairly novice jam maker, I thought that was too obvious! :oops: I was so disappointed with it, I felt like consigning the lot to the bin.

Hi Pongeroon. Blackcurrant jam with attitude :lol: :lol: I like that! I might put that on the new label when I try Sally's tip....
Cheers both of you.
Happy with my lot
Primrose
KG Regular

I think the watering down advice will work - I've done this myself on one occasion and whilst I was worried about wasting some damson jam which was a real "stiffy" it actually worked fine.You could try adding a little lemon juice to the mixture if you're worried about it not resetting but I think Sally's advice to do one jar at a time as you're ready to use it is wise as it reheating and resetting may shorten its life. Your dilemma is certainly the opposide of attempt to make marmalade years ago when I first got married. I had no idea how long one had to boil it for "until setting point is reached" as the recipe book advised. I boiled it for nearly two hours expecting it would start to stiffen up whilst still hot, by which time it had been boiled to death and would never have set in a hundred years. I ended up with about 30 pounds of liquid orange sauce. (I'd bought about 10 lbs of oranges as I had no idea how large a quantity it would make either - I was so clueless in those days). It took about three years to dispose of even a fraction of it and eventually the remainder got flushed down the U Bend.
Incidentally a very stiff fruit jam is often known as a Fruit Cheese and is a legitimate product in its own right. In the past I've made Damson Cheese which is eaten with cold meat. It's simply a fruit puree with sugar, sieved to remove any pips and less liquid, so it sets really hard. Just tell your friends it's Blackcurrant Cheese! Am sure the taste is still delicious and you can serve it sliced with ice cream.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Your stiff jam sounds too good for this, but I dilute old jam with water so it is runny and hang jam jars of it in the plum trees. Fill them about half full and the wasps go in and drown instead of spoiling the fruit on the tree. You have to check them occasionally as Comma butterflies are rather partial to it as well and sometimes need rescuing.
MrsL
KG Regular

If in doubt, make jam wine :D
goldilox
KG Regular

Hi Elaine,
I'm sure by now you've solved your problem with the jam. My grandmother used to make some very stiff blackcurrant or blackberry jam each year to use in the winter for colds. It was just put into a cup, boiling water poured on and mixed well. It certainly seems to soothe a sore scratchy throat.
Chris
Elaine
KG Regular

Mmmmm I love that idea! Could perhaps even make it into a cordial and dilute according to taste...will give that a try and let you know. Thanks! :D
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic