Garlic Question

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

OldMuckshifter
KG Regular

Hello there I am new to this forum (forums in general :D ) I have a question about garlic,last year I grew a good crop & we plaited & hung them up,however around March time the ones we had left became very soft,brown inside & had lots of green shoots rendering them unusable.
Is there any way of preventing this &/or how do you store yours?Do any of you store it in oil/pickle etc?
Geoff
KG Regular

You normally expect to store things cool to keep a long time but my wife once read garlic is better stored warm as cold initiates growth, so now we store it on the chimney breast of the always on Aga. Although there is now a bit of shooting most of it is still usable, variety Marco.
pongeroon
KG Regular

Thats useful to know Geoff, we always grow lots. OldMuckshifter, we pickle ours, plenty of recipes on the net. We do ours in a sweetend white wine vinegar and it is lovely in a salad, or whenever we think of it, really. Probably not too good with custard, though.
OldMuckshifter
KG Regular

many thanks folks,thats interesting about the temperature as ours was stored in an outside shed. We had some stored inside but that was used first. With regards to the sweetened white wine vinegar, do you just slice it up & bottle it in it? or do you put whole cloves in?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic