A question for chilli experts

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

June
KG Regular

Can anyone help with this please...
This year I've sown chilli variety 'Jalapeno Summer Heat' (from Thompson & Morgan) which were some seeds I had left over from 2007. The first year I grew them they matured as per the packet illustration, from green to red. All the plants sown this year have ripened from pale yellow to golden yellow! Are they safe to eat?! Anyone else had anything similar happen?
I'm a bit concerned as my husband has given away a fair few plants at work and I wanted to make sure they were OK!!
Thanks in advance, June
Colin_M
KG Regular

June wrote:All the plants sown this year have ripened from pale yellow to golden yellow! Are they safe to eat?!

Are you saying that you have already got Chillies on your plants and that they are now changing colour? Or are you talking about the foliage?
Last edited by Colin_M on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
June
KG Regular

I'm referring to the actual ripening chillis. I sow them in January so the plants are fairly big now and have a fair few chillis on them.
June
Primrose
KG Regular

Sorry I'm not much of a chilli expert but I was wondering if this variety is an F1 Hybrid and you'd save the seeds but on re-reading your post I see it was seed from the same packet, just a year older. I wonder if the colour of the ripening chillis are anything to do with the content of the compost in which you are growing them, i.e. a different variety or brand from last year? I can't imagine that there is anything wrong with the chillis. I suppose it's just possible that a few rogue seeds from another variety have been packed by mistake into the same packet. This has occasionally happened to me in the past - I suppose it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that when the packers at T & M or elsewhere are packing seed, some stray varieties get stuck on their hands (unless they're machine packed) and get added into a packet by mistake.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic