Horseradish

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JacquieB
KG Regular

Following on from Johnboys explantion of how to grow horseradish non-invasively, if it is all picked at once, how do you keep it? I've just dug up my plants and replanted some young thongs, but can't possibly use all of the roots I now have - can it be preserved or frozen?

Thanks

Jacquie
Beccy
KG Regular

It freezes fine, and there is a lot to be said for doing so, cut into useable lumps. If you peel it when frozen you will suffer less :D .
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Beccy,
Now there a thought and a half!! I generally pick mine and have a grand session and store the surplus in damp peat. They actually store well and remain plump and scrummy. I have one member of the family who prefers Horseradish shredded in vinegar so thats why I keep them otherwise I pass them on to somebody wanting to start off or they get dried out and burnt!
JB.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

joe,my o/h had horseradish on the plot he took over,but unknown to me dug the stuff up.Last night while down the plot i noticed it growing again,its about 6ins high,is this any good to dig up now and pass on to piglet as he asked me for some not too long ago.Will it be o.k to put through the post?
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Trevor Holloway
KG Regular

My 10 year old son is mad keen on Horseraddish.
He wants to grow some in his 8' x 4' bed on the allotment - he bought some from Wilkinson and carefully planted it but it has died - thankfully as I had no idea how invasive it is.
Will now go and buy a new lot and plant it in a made up box with removable sides - probably a lucky escape !
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Trevor,
Remember that you have to grow it normally, at normal ground level, for the first year THEN put your box round it.
JB.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

J.B you still havnt answerd me question,what should i do? :?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Oh Mighty Grock of the Frock,
I didn't appreciate that your remarks were for me to reply to.
It is getting on in the year for transplanting but knowing how indestructable Horseradish is I reckon that it is still worth a try. Lets face it if you hacked the foliage down to the ground now it would be but a few days before it would be up and thriving again. My thoughts are go for it! It obviously will be set back a while but I think that by the end of the growing season it will be as strong as ever.
It will be perfectly fine in the post.

Sincerely, Johnboy.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

J/B,thankyou for your advice :D :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic