Preserving Beetroot in a jar without pickling !

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

skinny_bum
KG Regular

I have just got in the last of my beets, I have cooked them and just about to skin them, I have jam jars with lids is there a way that I can put them in jars like the super markets do to preserve them, but with out pickling them, how do I get the jar to seal?
Can someone help in the matter, I do hope so, I cant find any books to help me. :?

Thanks
SB
Primrose
KG Regular

I haven't tried this because last time I preserved beetroot in a jar I used vinegar, but as you say you don't want to pickle, I wonder whether making up a brine (salt solution) would do it. I remember when I was a child my parents preserving running beans in dry salt, which eventually absorbed the salt and became a brine solution so don't know whether beetroot would work. Perhaps if you Google "preserving vegetables in a brine solution" you might find a method of doing it. After all, olives are preserved in brine, so it might work. As for getting the jar lid to seal, I'm not sure heat sealing is 100% essential if the beets not going to be stored long term. I save all the jars I get from commercial products and re-use for making jam/marmalade. I just wash the jars/lids in soapy water and heat them for 100 degrees for 10 mins in the oven to sterlise them. I also preserve shredded cabbage and after salting and rinsing it, reuse the vinegar from an emptied jar of pickled onions and stick a clean washed lid on again. I'm not convinced you need to heat-seal the lid. I've been doing things like this for years and never had anything go bad or mouldy. Just make sure your jars and lids are well washed and clean.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic