Sweet potatoes

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

bighughie
KG Regular

:?: Has anybody tried to grow these and if so did you get a result Ours were very small it nay have been the lack of sun
Bren
KG Regular

I was going to try them a couple of years back,I have 2 West Indian chaps on an allotment close by so I asked them if they would grow and they said I would be wasting my time.
Bren
Chantal
KG Regular

I've tried three times. The first time I had reasonable results, but the last two attempts were pathetic. One of the pathetic years was 2006 and there was a heatwave.

Even on the good year, it really wasn't worth it.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
JacquieB
KG Regular

I have grown these before and although they have not cropped fantastically, they have provided a return and the huge amount of foliage produced has given my greenhouse a jungly feel and provided some shade for other planting!
So I took advantage of the offer in KG earlier this year. Many of the slips didn't take on planting - they looked so sad on arrival, i wasn't really surprised. However the crop has been very poor (dug up at the weekend as the frost has finally got to the plants foliage) - lots of potatoes but some not much thicker than a shoe lace.. Also these varieties didn't put much foliage on - one variety was quite bushy foliage - no more that 12", the other did get to 2-3' but was no comparison to the 10-15' that plants have put on in prior years. So a bit of a disappointment really. :(
I wish I knew what variety I've grown in the past to be able to grow them again - always the problem of buying plants in the market.... (although they were correctly labelled as sweet potatoes...)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic