SWEETCORN

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Compo
KG Regular

I have had a reasonable harvest of sweetcorn minipop, very sweet, easy cook and freeze. However, picking it is a different matter, I know the advice is that when the kernels ooze a nice creamy milk they are ready, but of course to do this you have to peel back the outer 'pod' and by doing this the inner fruit will deteriorate and not ripen properly, the only way to tell really is to guess the plumpness of the corn pod I think. But today i have picked some and the bottom part of the pod is ripe but the upper part remains undeveloped, being the middle of september and the poor summer would they have improved if left on the stalk? In any case I have managed to salvage 1/2 to 3/4 and blanch and freeze them. I would be interested if anyone else has the same dilemma or a solution?

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It is probably incomplete fertilisation. My sweetcorn isn't as good as usual. I think the wet summer has prevented the pollen being blown onto the silks as well as it would in dry weather so some have developed and others not.
Angi
KG Regular

I'm confused! Minipop is a variety to be picked before the kernels develop so you shouldn't wait for milky juice at all. I didn't grow it this year but have for several years and have always picked it as soon as the tassels appear. My normal sweetcorn has also been patchy this year.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Oh how right you are Angi!
JB.
Compo
KG Regular

Well me being me I could have got the variety wrong, so lets assume it is a normal variety (although it is very sweet) will the cobs swell any more at this time of year, are they worth leaving on the stalks or should i write them off? I have had about twenty cobs off about 15 plants which are now in the freezer, so not a bad result for a packet of seeds.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Compo,
Sounds like you have got the name wrong and not a bad harvest from all accounts.
I have just been reading the NIAB report on their Sweetcorn Trials this year. These are all new varieties that are not yet on the market but from the photo's in the article there are some really good ones to come in the future.
The main comment is that sweetness is down this year and because of the weather the water content is unusually high.
With the ones that you have that have not formed at the lower end is as Plumpudding has explained.
Without pollination these would never have formed so you were right to pick them now.
JB.
Compo
KG Regular

Thanks JB, they are fully formed but you know the way they ripen from the bottom up so you can pick one off and the bottom half is ripe and top half looks a bit like baby corn, what I want to know is if they are left will they ripen more up the cob? or is it now too cold / not enough light?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Compo,
If the feathers have appeared at the tip of the cob then they are ready to pick and the longer you leave them after that point the harder they get.
I think that to leave them any longer would have been a mistake. So you have done the right thing.
JB.
Compo
KG Regular

For academic purposes, the variety was Swift

ComPo
Piglet
KG Regular

I grow swift (and lark) and as a rule give the stems a good shake when the tassels are formed. You will see the pollen drift about when you do it. It does make a difference especially if its wet or very still at that time.

This generally gives good results but this year, like most folk, some of the ends had not been pollinated but overall the crop was ok.
Kindest Regards, Piglet

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic