Hawthorn chutney

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

penny
KG Regular

Hi All,
What good weather for a change!
I rad an article in independent mentioning hawthorn chutney. Any of you guys tried it? I have lots of berries I could use.
Best regards Penny
So far the only thing that's green on my allotment is me.
alan refail
KG Regular

Penny

No, I haven't tried it, nor will I! I think haws are best left to the birds - there are a lot more satisfying things to make chutney from than the floury tastless haws.

An extract from Roger Phillips Wild Food:

Haws were not thought highly of in ancient times, as early proverbs indicate, e.g. in 1230 'Ne wisdam nis not worth an hawe' and 1399 'An Harlots sonne not worth an hawe'
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hi Penny, I read the article but don't know a specific recipe. Didn't it mention onions and apples and vinegar?

I thought it sounded a bit sharp, perhaps it should have some sugar and spices as well.

One year Mum made some hawthorn sherry which had some raisins in it too. We never got to taste it as it was so good she didn't even bother bottling it but just sampled it by dipping a cup into the fermentation bin when she felt like a tipple. I found this out a few months later when I asked how many bottles it had made. Thinking back she did seem a bit more cheerful than usual for a couple of months.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic