Bottling cooked down tomatoes

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

The current large batch of tomato purree happily simmering on the stove will fill our freezer to absolute capacity.
I've still got lots of slowly ripening tomatoes which I don't want to waste and wonder if anybody can suggest a safe long-term bottling storage solution for them. I cook them down with onions and garlic so don't really want to use a recipe which just covers them with olive oil and needs storing in the fridge. The jars I've got are recycled pickle and jam jars with their original lids, so probably can't be sterilised down in an oven.
goldilox
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
I usually process my tomatoes in batches in Kilner (or Le Parfait) jars which are easily available here in France, but I think they're now easier to get in the UK. You can do them in the oven or in a large pan with a thermometer - I can send instructions if you'd like.
But please don't do what I did last Sunday and scald yourself. I managed to get steam on the backs of my hands and ended up with 2nd degree burns :roll: They've been in bandages ever since - horrendous swelling and blisters - had to have my wedding and engagement rings cut off oine night when the swelling got too bad. Much better now though - hopefully bandages can be left off tomorrow :D Haven't been able to do a thing all week . . . I'm typing this with my thumbs, so can't wait.
Primrose
KG Regular

Poor Goldilox - so sorry about your accident. Sounds terribly painful, and you must have been upset having to have your wedding and engagement rings cut out. I hope they can be rescued.
If you do have an opportunity to pm the instructions for the way you do your tomatoes, I'd appreciate it, but no hurry. It sounds as if you have enough on your plate at the moment.
Tigger
KG Regular

If you haven't got a pasteuriser (I got one from Lidl earlier this year for £29.99) you can do them in a big pan of boiling water but you must make sure the contents of the jars reach the required temperature, as opposed to the temperature of the water.
goldilox
KG Regular

Primrose,
Thanks for your concern - they are much better now.
Will pm you tomorrow when I (hopefully) get my fingers back!
Just off out to help my best friend celebrate her 35th wedding anniversary.
Chris
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic