Last date for picking rhubarb?

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Is there one? After splitting and moving a plant two years ago and some initial sulks, both are now still cropping prolifically. Will I weaken them if I continue to pick, or is there a generally accepted practice of picking until the stalks keel over at the end of summer?
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
I suspect that it is a case of the more you pick the more you get. If you have picked and there are young stalks still available I would pick until the end of this month. At the end of the month give the plants a good feed and allow them to die back naturally.
Mark where they are and early next year pop a 2 gallon bucket over the top for your first feed of next season.
JB.
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks Johnboy. In previous years my crops have often dictated their own "Pick By" date, possibly because of dry weather, but I suspect all the rain we've been having this year has really caused them to flourish. Yes, I do usually cover the roots over. Nothing like the first picking of forced rhubarb to make you feel that Spring is on its way again !
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

I was only wondering the same thing this morning, then I thought sod it, I'll pick it anyway. Shame to waste it :)
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi PJ,
It is by no means a hard and fast rule about Rhubarb.
You had the perfect solution!
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic