new potatoes

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mart
KG Regular

Hi folks
Not sure if this is the right forum to put this on, but here goes anyway.
Why do my freshly harvested and straight into the pan potatoes fall apart when cooked? Over the last few years i've tried several different varieties all with the same result. I grew potatoes on my previous plot with excellent results. Could it be that i have a soil problem with the plot i'm on now?
Hope someone can help as it's getting a bit disheartening after the same results for the last five years.
Mart :?
Monika
KG Regular

Hello Mart,

Have you tried steaming your potatoes rather than boiling them in water? I haven't boiled potatoes for years, I always steam them and they never fall apart.

It does depend on the varieties, of course, but you say it happens with all of them. I understand it is also linked with the weather and growing conditions, but I don't know how.

Whatever the reason, steaming should certainly avoid it.
John
KG Regular

Hello Mart
You don't say what varieties you've tried but I have less trouble with varieties that are described as new/first early/salad as the salad ones are always firmer and more waxy so less likely to fall to bits on cooking. We're coming to the end of our Maris Bard and Vales Emerald and both have done very well this year. Going to start on the Charlotte soon and that's also very reliable.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
The Mouse
KG Regular

You have my sympathy, Mart. I had exactly the same problem when I grew potatoes in my garden. I deliberately chose varieties that were described as firm-fleshed or waxy as I love their texture, but they just disintegrated when I cooked them - the outside would be falling away before the inside had cooked. Steaming was a bit better, but still didn't produce the desired texture.
I think the type of soil might have a lot to do with it, as I don't have this problem now I have an allotment. My home soil is very fine, dry, sandy and generally lacking in body (but a delight to dig, even after heavy rain). The allotment soil is heavy, clayey and difficult to work even in ideal weather conditions, but produces great potatoes.
It would be interesting to know if anyone else has found similar differences in potatoes grown on these different soils, or if it is just coincidence.
If soil type is to blame, the best (easiest!!!)solution is probably to get a new plot :?
Good luck!
Tigger
KG Regular

Or grow in buckets!
mart
KG Regular

Hi all
Thanks for the info folks some of the varieties i've tried are kestrel wilja, and maris piper. I've tried a couple of rows of salad potatoes this year, so i'll see how i get on with them. My soil is generally clay but not to heavy. As for moving plot,i've just spent two years putting in paths, strawberry beds and trellising for blackberries,so thats a non starter.
Thanks again for the info
Mart.
P.s anyone know anything about Raspberry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic