Calabrese/ Broccoli

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

toffeeman
KG Regular

I bought some broccoli plants from B&Q (fairly certain they were called calabrese but have ditched the packaging! There're definately not pruple sprouting) First timer at these but most of the plants look terrific and have form central heads from 1"-2" diameter (even the ones the pigeons have savaged have formed heads) Roughly what size should the heads be before I start to cut them? How much can reasonably be expected from each plant?

many thanks in anticipation
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Hi Toffeeman,

Hard to say without knowing the variety really. You want to cut them when the heads are still tight. Once you cut the central head, you should get lots of side shoots that can be used as well.
Hope that helps.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
toffeeman
KG Regular

I'm fairly certain the pack was marked calabrase. Any advice is always appreciated

thanks
Tigger
KG Regular

You can take the top heads to use at any stage you like, but don't let them get too big as the side shoots won't mature until the top is cut.
toffeeman
KG Regular

Maybe I will take a couple to see what happens. thanks
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Toffeeman,
Do remember that from cutting the main head on Sprouting Broccoli, and original Calabrese is a Sprouting Broccoli, can take up to 5 weeks to throw out the side shoots to the point of picking.
I appreciate your dilemma but if the main head is only 2" and is not purple or white then it will be green and it is unlikely to be one of the F1 hybrids Calabrese which at their smallest are over 3". I don't know how many plants you have but I suggest that you pick the heads out of half of them.
JB.
JB.
toffeeman
KG Regular

have 12 plants so will probably take 6 for dinner next Sunday. Many thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic