All you rhubarb growers

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Can you tell me please how you preserve/freeze your surplus rhubarb? This is one fruit I've never previously tried freezing. Is it best to freeze it chopped in chunks in its raw state or cooked, and does it distintegrate to pulp when defrosted if it has been cooked first?
Geoff
KG Regular

Regret we don't bother - just use it as a seasonal treat.
John
KG Regular

Hello Primrose
Just chop it (as you would before cooking) then bag and pop it in the freezer. It keeps well for over a year. I always do a few bags of our forced rhubarb.
When you want to use it, let it thaw at room temperature then bring it to the boil - it will need very little cooking.
Freezing seems to tenderise it and it makes a superb 'fool' as an out of season treat.

John

PS DW thinks I'm becoming a rhubarb nutter as I now have 4 different varieties growing. She says rhubarb is just rhubarb.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks John. I'll follow your advice. Understand that Delia is recommending baked/roast rhubarb to intensify its flavour, so will try some in a tray at the bottom of the oven after I've switched it off for the Sunday roast, which will hopefully retain sufficient heat for long enough to cook it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic