Sweet Williams

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Compo
KG Regular

If I cut the Sweet Williams for cut flowersd I take a lot of the stalk away will they keep on shooting, are they annuals or bi-annuals?

Should I sow more seed for next years crop?

Compo
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Hi Compo,

I'm pretty sure that most of the old taller varieties are biennials, so you need to sow some more seeds ready to plant out in the autumn to flower next year. There are some annual varieties, but I think they are mainly dwarf ones.

Cheers, PJ.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Geoff
KG Regular

Usually grown as biennials but I think strictly short lived perennials - certainly a proportion keep going but go straggly like most Dianthus. I suppose as they are Dianthus you could take cuttings but I have never done it. You can top dress them a bit to cover up the straggliness.
Chantal
KG Regular

I grew Sweet Williams from seed a couple of years ago and planted them out last year. There were masses of flowers last year and this year they are back with even more flowers. They're not showing any signs of being biennial unless this means grow one year for flowering the next, and every year after that. They're around 18"-24" high by the way.

Having said all that, I do recall in the past having them in the garden and being told then I needed to plant two lots in two years to guarantee flowers. Perhaps things have moved on.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic